Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

USB headset has no sound

This is a discussion on USB headset has no sound within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello there, I'm new so I hope this is the right category. Rough data first: I own an Asus X205TA

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello there,

I'm new so I hope this is the right category.
Rough data first:
I own an Asus X205TA netbook with Windows 10 and a Steelseries Siberia v2 (the USB one, with an integrated sound cart).
Problem: I can hear no sound.

It shows the headset in my sound devices, it is set to Default Device and it is enabled and not muted. The light on the headset is also working (I can change the light intensity and everything in the driver settings, no problem there). I installed all the latest drivers from Asus, Realtek and Steelseries, I tried enabling/disabling the different sound devices, uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, even made a fresh Windows 10 install. Nothing seems to work.

When playing a video in my browser or using a media player the little bar on the right hand side in the sound tab does flash green, so apparently everything should be fine. My device manager does not show any errors and just states "The device is working properly".

I've tried both USB ports, all other USB devices work without any issues. Other headphones that I own (one Phillips headset and a pair of Panasonic in-ears) that use the 3,5 port also work as they should, so I guess it might be an issue with my netbook disliking the integrated Siberia v2 sound card. The headset works just fine on my desktop PC (which is also using Windows 10 and the Realtek drivers, though a different version).
I'm not particularly inexperienced when it comes to solving PC problems, but I just can't seem to find a solution to this one.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Please tell me if there is any more information you need and I shall try to provide it.

Thanks in advance,
raikiro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

From what I understand when it comes to headphones and sound output in general, USB ports don't output sound at all.

If it has a mic, it may work to input audio from your mic, but I don't think it works to output audio to your headset, in my experience.

Any headset I've ever tried never worked solely on USB. It always has to be plugged into the headphone output jack or through HDMI.

I might be wrong. That's just my knowledge of it.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply!
And I am 100% sure it does work with USB only. There is no other option and, like I said, it has been working that way with my desktop PC for quite some time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Game Team Tech

Go to the device manager, with the headset connected, and RIGHT click on the entry for the headset. LEFT click "uninstall". Disconnect the headset from the PC and then restart the PC. After Windows starts, connect the headset and Windows should detect and install it.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. As previously stated though, I've already tried installing the drivers again, and also exactly the way you're suggesting, by uninstalling with the headset being connected, restarting the PC, plugging back in. It does install the drivers again, recognizes the headset, but there still isn't any sound coming out of it.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Is the headset set as the default playback device?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
As it says in my first post, it is set as the default device. I tried setting the speakers to default and change it to the headset again, disabling/enabling both speakers and headset in all possible combinations. Still no sound.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Sorry, just double checking.

USB devices don't use the onboard chipset drivers. They rely upon their own drivers/software. So the Realtek drivers should have no effect.

As you've reinstalled the drivers/software and performed a fresh install of the OS, I'm at a loss. Likely a Steelseries Siberia driver glitch. You may want to contact the manufacturer, either tech support of their forums (if they have any).

Old 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Registered Member

Not a problem!

I figured that it just might be an issue with the onboard sound card not liking the headsets' sound card, especially considering that it works just fine on my PC.
I guess I will try to contact Steelseries and/or Asus, they might provide further assistance.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. I will try to post an update if I find a solution.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I've never had any issues with multiple audio chipsets. My last several motherboards have all had Realtek chipsets. In addition, for quite awhile I was using an Asus D2X Xonar card, and I've got a USB headset. Changing outputs was always just a matter of altering the Windows configuration.

If you want to test, you can go into Device Manager and disable the Realtek chipset and reboot. It should reboot with the chipset still disabled and you can check the audio configuration and test.

Closed Thread