Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

System No Longer Detecting Sound Card? (Creative X-Fi)

This is a discussion on System No Longer Detecting Sound Card? (Creative X-Fi) within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello there. I'm having a problem with my sound card and I was hoping that someone might be bale to

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello there. I'm having a problem with my sound card and I was hoping that someone might be bale to help me solve the problem. I'll have to admit that I'm not very tech savvy about this kind of stuff so I apologize for that.

For a few years now I've been running a sound card on my computer, the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity, and it's always been working just fine. Roughly a year ago I updated my PC to Windows 10 and after that the sound card started getting finicky but and wouldn't always work after a Windows update, but I was always able to fix it by uninstalling the driver from the Device Manager, restarting the computer, and then the driver would automatically reinstall and the problem would be fixed.

However, after the most recent Windows update, which was around Friday I believe, I haven't been able to get the sound card to work again. When I started up my computer yesterday the sound wasn't working again so I did what I usually did to fix it-- I uninstalled the driver. I shut down the computer after that because I was short on time, but this morning I started it up again and expected the sound card driver to reinstall like it always did... But it didn't. It's no longer listed as a device when I click on the sound icon on the task bar, it's not listed in the Device Manager (though it does list Apowersoft_AudioDevice, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device and a few listings of NVIDIA High Definition Audio). I dug out my old installation CD and tried installing the driver from there but it just said that my version of Windows isn't supported. I tried downloading a driver from the Creative website but it said that it couldn't find a supported product. Lastly, I tried downloading a driver from here which said it supported Windows 10 but, again, when I ran the application it said that it couldn't find a supported product. Now I don't know what to do.

I'm not getting any sound at all on my computer. The playback device seems to be connecting to the Apowersoft_AudioDevice device but that's not getting sound, either (though this might be because I have my speaker jack attached to the X-Fi card). Does anyone know how I can get my system to register the Creative X-Fi sound card, get the X-Fi driver updated on Windows 10 and get the sound working again?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Sounds like the sound card is actually faulty, and that could have been the problem the entire time.

The error message, "couldn't find a supported product" would indicate the hardware is not found. Also, any functional hardware should be detected by Windows and should be listed in Device Manager (regardless of the drivers being installed). ALL functional hardware should be listed in Device Manager, drivers are only required for it to actually function properly.

Having said all of that, power off the computer and remove the sound card. Power on the computer and boot into Windows. After the bootup is complete, shutdown Windows and power off the computer. Reinstall the sound card, and boot into Windows.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi ZeonZumDeikun

Sadly, Creative has classified your sound-card as 'End-of-Service-Life' and have discontinued support for it

You can either remove the Creative card and use the motherboard's audio (Apowersoft audio device?), or replace the card with something newer that has Win-10 support. The Nvidia audio is on the graphics-card, the Hi-Def entry refers to the HDMI-socket for monitors with speakers or TV/monitors etc. The NVidia virtual audio device is for when you stream audio from the internet or other devices on your home-network.

What make & model is your PC, of if custom/home-built, what make/model motherboard?

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

It might be a problem with the sound card, and I did realize that the card is no longer supported. I do need to get a new card sometime but right now it's just not in the budget, heh.

Strangely, though, the sound started working last night after the computer had been turned on and off a couple time throughout the day. Don't know why, if it's something with the sound card or just the driver install lagging or what, but at least for now it seems to be working. I guess that's all I can ask for.

When I have the available funds I'll buy a new card. This one just has to last me until then. :P
Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeonZumDeikun View Post

Strangely, though, the sound started working last night after the computer had been turned on and off a couple time throughout the day. Don't know why, if it's something with the sound card or just the driver install lagging or what, but at least for now it seems to be working. I guess that's all I can ask for.

If it's come back on but intermittently, it's worth trying reseating the sound-card. After powering the computer off, unplug whatever's plugged into the back of the card (headphones, speakers, mic etc.), then undo the little locating/fixing screw on top of the card's mounting bracket and lift the card out.

Re-insert the card again, ensuring it's fully in the motherboard-slot (don't forget the little fixing-screw ), then connect the speakers or headphones and power it up and test.

Although the card's contacts are gold, the motherboard's sockets are just tinned metal (solder-coated) and can get a thin corrosion on the contacts inside them, this can be enough to give the card hiccups - Even a dust built-up can do the same.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Closed Thread