Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Speakers Suddenly Not Functioning Win7

This is a discussion on Speakers Suddenly Not Functioning Win7 within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently, I've encountered a strange problem with my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 17R, and the speakers no longer seem

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Recently, I've encountered a strange problem with my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 17R, and the speakers no longer seem to function. They're set to default, the sound is up, and no headphones are plugged in. I initially tried a system restore (twice) and both times the restore failed for one reason or another (the first time it blamed my virus software, so I uninstalled it temporarily and tried again from the system repair menu, then it said a Firefox temp file had been moved or deleted and didn't work). Now there are no restore points before the issue began occurring (as I checked today). Drivers on all possible sound devices are up to date as well. Device manager says everything is working fine.

Now, the strange thing is, when I plug my headphones into my laptop, they work -only- for YouTube. Windows Media Player displays the following message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." Nothing else that uses sound works except for YouTube when just headphones are plugged in.
Stranger still, my gaming headset (Skullcandy SLYR) works. If I plug that in with the Mic/Headphones/USB power bit everything works just fine. The headset only shows up in the playback devices menu if it's plugged in, so I can't disable it there if it's not plugged in.

I've done virus scans, and one program did pick up some things that were all removed, but the issue wasn't resolved. It seems possible registry values got changed because of the viruses but I wouldn't know how to go about fixing those on my own if that is indeed the case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

In Device manager - - - Sound, Video and Game Controllers>Uninstall>System Devices>Uninstall High Definition Audio Controller>Choose one of the devices, Right Click and select scan for hardware changes. The drivers are now properly installed.You might have to reboot.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Did that, initially it said the device failed and wasn't configured properly, tried to update the driver like it said, didn't work, uninstalled again now it works. The audio sounds different now, though. It's a lot quieter than it was before (even with headphones, and yes I turned it up :p). Normally it was plenty loud on ridiculously low settings, and I'd never changed any of the audio settings from when I got the computer, though I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It's probably a Dell thing anyway, haha. Thanks for the help.
Closed Thread