Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Speakers go quiet for 2-3 seconds every few minutes

This is a discussion on Speakers go quiet for 2-3 seconds every few minutes within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't have the issue when I'm listening to stuff using earphones. It's only my USB speakers that cause this

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I don't have the issue when I'm listening to stuff using earphones. It's only my USB speakers that cause this issue. I checked the power settings and USB selective suspend is disabled. I couldn't find any USB power related settings in the BIOS.

I don't really know how to replicate the issue. It seems to happen at random. Also for some reason I seem to have Nvidia as well as Realtek audio drivers but it's Realtek that's active. Is this normal? Relevant screenshots attached.

This is my motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H81M-S1-rev-10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_2018-05-08_11-26-05.png
Views:	27
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	319942   Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_2018-05-08_11-27-38.png
Views:	27
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	319944  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

It could be that your USB seakers draw just a bit too much current from the USB port and will shut down and reconnect as a function of the over-current protection of the USB port. I have seen this only once before, so it is a possibility. Other than that it may be a defect in the speakers that cause them to shut down and restart, or possibly an intermittent connection in the USB cable or connector.

Do you get the usual system sound when a USB device disconnects?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 05-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post
It could be that your USB seakers draw just a bit too much current from the USB port and will shut down and reconnect as a function of the over-current protection of the USB port. I have seen this only once before, so it is a possibility. Other than that it may be a defect in the speakers that cause them to shut down and restart, or possibly an intermittent connection in the USB cable or connector.

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I don't get any USB disconnection sound when the speakers go quiet. I don't get the USB disconnection sound even when my earphones are active and I connect and disconnect the speakers though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post

Ok I'm getting notifications now saying "An audio device has been plugged/unplugged from an audio jack" whenever the speaker goes silent.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Have you tried your speakers on another machine to see if the same symptoms appear?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Closed Thread