Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Sound Quality Suddently Greatly Diminished

This is a discussion on Sound Quality Suddently Greatly Diminished within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I'm suddenly having a major problem with my computer's audio. It's hard to describe in words, but while I

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. I'm suddenly having a major problem with my computer's audio. It's hard to describe in words, but while I get sound, there's a kind of "metallic" echo that makes it almost inaudible. My question is this: is there any kind of diagnostic test I can run to at least figure out what the problem is? The way I see it, it's probably my sound card, but could also possibly be the USB port itself. And if it is the sound card, is there some kind of test to tell me what the problem is and if it's any way fixable? Any ideas here would be appreciated! Thank you.

PS. I don't know if this provides any clues, but what triggered this is when I inserted one of those "dongles" from a Fitbit fitness-tracking device into the port as I was trying to connect another wireless item to my pc. I don't see how a dongle could damage the sound card, but all I know is that the sound is no longer the same since I did it. Again, it could be that I damaged the port itself, but I'm still able to use an external hard drive with that port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi JSS10

Have you checked the audio-settings 'effects' section? It varies by name/location depending on the audio-chip and it's driver, but it should have options for 'Hall', Large room' and similar stuff - There might well also be a section to add things like reverb, echo and other effects too.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 02-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi WereBO,

Thanks for the response. I know you said it varies by location, for unfortunately I would have no idea were to find such a thing (I'm really not much of a techie). I believe that my sound card is a Realtek, though. I also really don't think that the settings could be the problem, though, as I haven't changed anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Never mind! The old restarting technique worked this time (I tried it before and it didn't). So, no idea how using the dongle could have triggered something like that, but now the sound is as clear as usual. Again, thanks anyway for the response!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting your cure - For future reference, there might be an entry marked 'Realtek' on the start-menu's program list, or right-clicking the speaker-icon in the system-tray brings a menu up, with various options on it. Again, not sure what it would be named as, I don't have Realtek audio

It's possible that when the USB dongle is plugged in, the appropriate driver loads and sometimes overwrites a memory or settings value. It could also be something else that's nothing to do with that, just one of life's mysterious mysteries...

If you're satisfied all is working well, you can mark the thread <Solved> from the 'Thread Tools' menu, near the top-right of the page.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Closed Thread