Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Sound keeps cutting off! (HP Envy, Win 8.1)

This is a discussion on Sound keeps cutting off! (HP Envy, Win 8.1) within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, so the problem is basic, but very annoying. The sound will cut off at random times, and I need

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, so the problem is basic, but very annoying. The sound will cut off at random times, and I need to put the laptop in and out of sleep mode (basically close and open the screen) to get it to work again, temporarily. It happens regardless of whether I'm using my speakers or my headphones, so I think it's an issue with the sound card. It can sometimes happen once every few minutes, or even once every few seconds. It will never just randomly happen when no sound is playing, usually when I'm playing a game or producing/listening to music, though I get the feeling that harder the workload the more likely it is to cut out. It is VERY annoying . Below are my specs, let me know if you need more.

Product name:HP ENVY 15 Notebook PC
Product number:E1P04AAR
Total memory:8.00 GB
Processor name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Sound driver (or what I think it is): High Definition Audio Device

IMPORTANT: I saw this problem in many other forums, and most people suggested updating the sound driver. It was up to date when this problem started. I rolled back the driver, and it made the problem less severe for a short amount of time. I am at my wit's end here, and it's very important that I get this problem solved. I'm trying my luck here before I actually have to go to an IT support guy or, worse, give my laptop in for repair. I appreciate any and all help! Ask me if you need more details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Try to fully uninstall the sound driver and then reinstalling the latest version.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Try to fully uninstall the sound driver and then reinstalling the latest version.
I had already tried this, someone on another forum suggested this to me. I already had the latest driver, but I still uninstalled the driver and then restarted to install the new driver. No effect, just temporarily reduces the frequency of the problem. Do you think there was possibly an update causing this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

hi where are you updating the driver from? hp has a new update as of 8-15-16 HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

I updated them through the option that was available when you access the sound card properties under Device Manager. I will try this though, and update you on how it works. My guess is it will make the problem a lot less frequent, but only for a day or so, that's what happened before.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

UPDATE: Nope. It will still cut out. It was going good for a nice amount of time, then cut out. Closed and opened the laptop, once again it ran for a very short amount of time before cutting. I strongly believe either there was an update that did something weird, or the actual physical sound card is somehow damaged (which it really shouldn't be to be honest, the actual laptop was bought just a year ago).
Old 08-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

have you tried a restore point before the problem started?

Old 08-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

The problem must've started long ago, but back then I was at home and not uni, so I could just use my desktop, and I didn't care much about this problem. So, I don't really have an exact memory of when it started. I suppose I'll try and go back to one of the earlier system restores I have, but are there any risks to that? Will it delete programs I had installed after that system restore point was created?
Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you could try running a live cd to test if it is a hardware problem like Ubuntu. no need to install to the hard drive just run it off a disk or flash drive.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

How will I know after I do that if it is or isn't a hardware problem? And what exactly is a live CD test? Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to tech....
Old 08-15-2016, 06:58 PM   #11
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

if the sound cuts out in a different os then most likely its going to be a hardware problem. you can read up on how to use Ubuntu here. Install Ubuntu 16.04 <abbr title="long-term support">LTS</abbr> | Ubuntu

Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

Oh alright, thanks. I'll try it when I have the time. It's getting a bit late here, but I'll update before the next 24 hours. Is there like a free demo version or mini version of any other OS I can use just to try it, rather than actually buying it just for the purpose of testing?
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM   #13
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

it is free their is no cost for Ubuntu. just do not install it just select try Ubuntu Try Ubuntu before you install it | Ubuntu

Old 08-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

For some reason Ubuntu will fail to start, I looked it up and it's something to do with something called UEFI, but that's another problem and this thread is not for that, I'll figure that out myself or try to install another free OS. In the meantime let's say it was a problem with the sound chip/card itself and not a software problem: on a laptop, would there be anything I can do, or would I have to send it to HP, or have someone come over?
Old 08-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

it looks like the sound card is integrated on the motherboard. https://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03943414 their is a bunch of info in the link on the laptop.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah I kind of expected that since it was a laptop after all. Fortunately I've gotten in contact with an HP employee (funnily enough this happened just a few hours after I mentioned on a thread on HP's own forum that I would never buy from HP again after I found out my warranty was only 3 months), so I guess we could figure that out. However, I've heard horror stories about HP customer service, and I can't guarantee that it's smooth sailing from here, so I'll keep this thread open for the moment, and also in case someone else with the same problem happens to find this and wants to contribute.
Closed Thread