Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Sound crackling issues

This is a discussion on Sound crackling issues within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. System: Asus P6t SE Intel X58 Core i7 [email protected] 10gb RAM Nvidia GTX480 Windows 7 HP 64bit Plantronics Gamecom headset

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

System:

Asus P6t SE
Intel X58
Core i7 [email protected]
10gb RAM
Nvidia GTX480
Windows 7 HP 64bit
Plantronics Gamecom headset

I use my headset for primary sound (game, movies, music). When I started up, say Battlefield 3, everything sounds like it should. But within 30 minutes, I I notice the sound starts to crackle. It gets so bad the game actually skips. So I stop the game and play a YouTube video and the sound still cracks.

Any solution? I've tried a few things like disable asll enhancement, but still have not solve this annoying problem.

Any suggestions? I also just downloaded the latest video card drivers for nvidia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Most common cause would be the audio drivers (for the audio chipset, not the video drivers).

Old 09-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, the Realtek driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

But I don't have any Realtek components. Under Device Mgr, Sound, this is what's listed:

1. Webcam C270
2. High Def Audio Device
3. Nvidia HD audio
4. Plantronics GameCom 780
Old 09-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The "High Def Audio Device" should be the Realtek chipset. You should be able to see it in Device Manager. How it's listed can be affected by the driver. So it may not be using the correct or offiicial driver.

The "nVidia HD Audio" should be the audio chipset for the video card HDMI port.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Here's the weird thing:

1. I've updated every single one of the HD audio device, Nvidia HD audio, etc. It says the current driver is updated.

2. The crackling doesn't start right away. I'm playing BF3 and the sound is fine. But about 20 minutes in, it gets worse and worse. Certain point, the video actually skips.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #7
Moderator - Hardware

My System

How are you updating the drivers? If you are using Windows Update or clicking the "update driver" within Windows you are only checking for the latest driver released (ie: approved) by Microsoft. The Microsoft drivers are often not the latest version.

Having said that, it could also be hardware failure. But audio chipset issues shouldn't affect video. Which still leads me to believe there is a driver issue. So you could have the latest audio drivers, but there is a conflict with another application or driver. This wouldn't be the first time I've seen (or experienced myself) a game causing a system glitch. If it always occurs during or after using game "x", it's likely the fault of game "x".

Also, just as an FYI, all of the audio drivers do not need to be updated. In this case, the Plantronics 780 is a USB headset, which means it is using it's own drivers/software over USB. The Realtek and nVidia chipsets/drivers are not used. They could be completely uninstalled and it would not affect the Plantronics 780 output.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi blackbeagle

Just a quickie but, with the time-delay before the noises start, it might be heat related. Have you cleaned out the dust-bunnies from inside the PC?

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 09-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Heat? Well I've never thought of that. I will open it up and look inside. Good thinking. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Heatsink-vanes are particularly prone to collecting dust, the warm, dry air being blown across them is a haven for dust-bunnies. A can of compressed-air (with extension-nozzle attached) and a fairly stiff artists-brush (approx 1/4"-1/2") is ideal for evicting them.

You can use a vacuum-cleaner to suck the flying dust out of the air, but don't let the nozzle get within a couple of inches from the components, fast-moving dry air can easily generate a large static-charge, which will zap the delicate components.

When cleaning the various fan-blades, don't let the moving air spin the blades too fast, it can damage the internal bearings. A biro-tube, 'Q-tip' or even a spare finger is ideal to prevent blades spinning, whilst you brush the dust off 'em

Old 09-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Ding Ding. We have a winner. Dust bunnies it was. I had some RAM issues so I had my PC laying flat with the covers open for a few months. So I took it outside and blew it out with an air compressor hose. I'm testing now but it seems to solve the problem.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Oooohh, fingers crossed it stays crackle-free

Old 09-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

A toothbrush is also an excellent tool for dust removal.

NB Don't use your current one.
Closed Thread