Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

sound card and on board sound

This is a discussion on sound card and on board sound within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. wondering if any one can help me, im trying to get two separate audio out puts on my computer. i

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #1

wondering if any one can help me, im trying to get two separate audio out puts on my computer. i have an nvidia motherboard and a creative audigy sound card.

what im trying to do is get one media player to play music though the sound card, but at the same time another media player to play though the on board sound, so i can play two things though two sets of speakers.

If anyone knows if this is at all possible please let me know!

Thank you, Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 04:53 PM   #2

afaik your only hope would be to use pro audio software that would enable you to put its output to a specific card...this is quite possible in cubase and its actually an advised principle to use your pro audio card for pro audio use only, and have all other system sounds using another card...this frees the pro audio card to do its job and not have any possible conflicts with system warning sounds and such...

of course cubase doesn't have playlists, and costs a pretty penny to boot...

edit: I guess I skipped the logic of using the pro audio software as one source of playback, and let's say WMP using your standard card as another...afaik no 'standard' media player enables you to choose a specific soundcard as an output, hence it automatically uses the sound device specified in the control panel...
Old 12-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #3

I think it might be possible if you enable the surround sound on the creative audigy. If you can get software that will output different sounds on the rear channels and the front channels, then this will be possible with one sound card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatt View Post
I think it might be possible if you enable the surround sound on the creative audigy. If you can get software that will output different sounds on the rear channels and the front channels, then this will be possible with one sound card.
well this would require that you somehow create a music file that has one stereo track of one song and another (on the rear channels) of another song....again, afaik (I'm sure I might be wrong) only pro audio software is going to do this..if there is a cheap or free version available, then that would be marvelous...being that I've been a user of cubase since the VST24 days, pro audio software is the first thing I think of as I have no use for free versions that are available as SX3 does everything I could need, including creating surround sound files
Old 12-31-2006, 05:27 AM   #5

Thanks for that. i did think it would be possible with some sort of software. when i use the nvidia nvmixer to test the speakers that will play the test noise though the motherboard even when the default is set to the sound card.

Is any one aware of a program that would do the selective audio thing, that will also play videos, iv had a good look myself but with little success.

Thanks for your help.

Ben
Old 12-31-2006, 06:17 AM   #6

Thanks for your help, I managed to find an awesome little free media player that lets you select the audio out put. brilliant. I would recommend it to anyone.

its called Zoom Player.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:04 AM   #7

thanks for that information...hopefully it will be remembered by those who participate here for future use to help others

Closed Thread