Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Sound card advice - should I upgrade a Xonar DG?

This is a discussion on Sound card advice - should I upgrade a Xonar DG? within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD598 headphones. I love them. I currently have them plugged into

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD598 headphones. I love them.

I currently have them plugged into an Asus Xonar DG sound card, which I bought when I had lesser quality headphones. It works fine, but I have some money to spend and I'm wondering if there's an upgrade to be had here.

If I upgraded this 25 sound card to a higher-range (50-150 sort of thing) card, would there be a considerable difference?

I've been looking at the SoundBlaster Z, which seems to be excellent for sound in games especially, and good all-round. How would this compare with my DG in terms of overall sound quality?

The Xonar Essense STX has also caught my eye. While this is pretty expensive, does it justify its cost? How would this compare to the DG and SoundBlaster Z?

I'm looking for any advice and recommendations here, all is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

To drive a headset, you need a card built for that purpose. Your current card already meets that purpose. Sure you can upgrade, but I doubt you would notice any difference.

As for the Sound Blaster Z, you would need the Zx or ZxR model with the headphone amp.

Or you could go with an external DAC and amp. But again, you are already using a highly rated card, so you aren't going to see much difference.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Doing the big core upgrade of cpu, mem, g card, mobo, advice?
So im finally upgrading my dinosaur amd 3200 :) this baby has lasted me good and a long time! So Im lost in all the new nomenclature. I figure that Ill not get too bogged down in the technical specs and just pick whatever my price range can afford. I have decided I should spend around 100...
Remes Building 49 01-10-2014 06:48 AM
[SOLVED] ASUS P8 Z68-V Pro and sound card
Where can I fit an Asus Xonar DSX sound card to an Asus P8 Z68-V Pro motherboard? The reason I'm looking at a sound card as opposed to using the on-board ALC 892 audio chip is that I have limited control over the volume and the sound is barely audible. The speakers are brand new and I have...
travelpro Sound Cards 5 12-26-2013 03:46 AM
Need a good Sound Card
I have a p7-1126s puter. Has a built in sound card. I hate it. No treble or bass options. I need to do some recording, and without a treble or bass option, I cannot control what comes through the mic. I know about Audacity, but I do not want to have to modify the audio on every...
CuriousAmerican Sound Cards 6 10-10-2012 05:28 AM
[SOLVED] My new HD6850 graphic card makes my sound card not to work
I just bought a 6850 card and when I installed it my sound card crashed. It says its found in the deveice manager, but on the icon beside the clock I have a red cross over the speaker icon and it says "no speakers or headphones are plugged in". When I run dxdiag it says it does not found any...
xtrazi Sound Cards 2 12-22-2011 03:40 PM