Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Sound Blaster Audigy

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Sound Blaster Audigy within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to resolve a problem for a friend of mine who is less techy then I am. I

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to resolve a problem for a friend of mine who is less techy then I am. I have built a few computers and I've ran into this same problem he has but I can't remember the solution nor can I google hard enough to find the solution.

The problem is he has a Sound Blaster Audigy that will not function correctly because it is missing a cable that plugs in to a patch of four pins on the end of the card. I don't know which cable to purchase or even what to search for. I have browsed TigerDirect.com with no avail and would very much appriciate some well needed help from the more advanced tech savy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi

is this the cable you are looking for that goes to sound card to the cd/dvd rom drive? MPC to MPC (4-pin to 4-pin) Audio CD-ROM Cable w/ 4 Wires for Computers Audio Cable- Directron

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

What exactly isn't working? I've used several Audigy cards and no extra cables were necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
Hi

is this the cable you are looking for that goes to sound card to the cd/dvd rom drive? MPC to MPC (4-pin to 4-pin) Audio CD-ROM Cable w/ 4 Wires for Computers Audio Cable- Directron
That could possibly be it...

I think its supposed to be a power cable though that plugs into the motherboard. I know the card should utilize power naturally from the mother board since its in a PCI slot. However, there is no sound when you power up the computer. The card is brand new as well I took it out of the box myself.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

i have not seen or heard of a power cable to a sound card. you might need to disable the integrated sound in bios and make sure you are plugging the speakers in the sound card ports. did the driver install? any marks next to anything in device manager? can you post a screen shot of device manager with the sound tree expanded. also check you have the default play back device set to the card.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Just a note, while not common, some cards do need power, although again, not the Audigy line that I'm aware.

My Asus Xonar D2X has external power.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them out. The BIOS might be the problem.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
Troubled

Those power cables were needed sometimes during the Windows 98/98SE era but moving onward from about 2001 they were not needed with soundcards, and like one poster above mentions there are a few exceptions with a few high end sound cards nowdays like the higher end Xonar series, though my own Xonar DGX does not use a cable other than front port case hookup.

Besides your bios you might simply try re-seating the card or another slot as well if you have one available.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHunter41 View Post
Those power cables were needed sometimes during the Windows 98/98SE era but moving onward from about 2001 they were not needed with soundcards, and like one poster above mentions there are a few exceptions with a few high end sound cards nowdays like the higher end Xonar series, though my own Xonar DGX does not use a cable other than front port case hookup.

Besides your bios you might simply try re-seating the card or another slot as well if you have one available.
The MoBo is a Intel Desktop Board D875PBZ if that is any help to anyone. I have got a chance to trouble shoot anything yet, thanks for all the info though.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #10
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I doubt it's the BIOS. Windows will support multiple sound cards without issue. More likely a config or connection issue.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Registered Member

He's running windows XP SP3 on this old timer, if thats any help.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #12
Troubled

Actually it's really not about the bios (per say) but the motherboards native ability to handle a soundcard on an antiquated operating system with a particular bios layout and how IRQ allocation were handled back in those days. So in effect sometimes on these units disabling any type of onboard sound in the bios was needed. Depended on the board. Most didn't need that for any add in sound card to work correctly.

The above noted motherboard should be fine though, even running XP.

I would tend to think JimE with the connection or configuration issue is likely correct.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Registered Member

I got it working without any extra cables or disabling the on-board sound. Thanks guys!
Old 06-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Your welcome can you tell how you got it working so could help others looking will know what todo.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
Registered Member

Honestly, it wasnt anything to weird. The computer was loaded with Malware/Adware/Trojans which would clump the computer up when you tried to install the drivers for the Sound Card. I ran virus scan's with different programs, such as, malware bytes pro, AVG (Free), Webroot, Ad-Aware. Once I removed everything that was slowing the computers down, the drivers installed without a problem. :) Odd solution but it worked.

I did NOT have to disable my BIOS on board sound and the card DID NOT need an extra cable.
Closed Thread