Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

[SOLVED] New computer, weird sound issue

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] New computer, weird sound issue within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I bought a new custom-built computer last week. It's equipped with a Gigabyte Sniper Z97 motherboard, which uses a

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi,

I bought a new custom-built computer last week. It's equipped with a Gigabyte Sniper Z97 motherboard, which uses a sound blaster recon 3di sound card.

I installed all drivers from the CD, and updated them from the Gigabyte website. I checked the device manager, and there are no hardware/driver conflicts anywhere.

The issue is that the sound changes in volume, and some sounds are like they're coming from a cave, or another room. While playing games, some sounds (like voices) appear muted, which the soundtrack playing at the same time sounds fine. Sometimes this effect depends on the direction the sound is coming from. Characters standing behind you will sound fine, while you can barely hear the ones standing right in front of you. But it's not just games. It happens in youtube too, for example.

I read about other people having issues with this hardware, (Sound Blaster Recon3Di on Gigabyte Z87 Sniper, volume problem), so I'm not the only one. Any advice? Is this issue software-side, or is my hardware defective?

I'll post the specs as soon as I get home from work. And attach dxdiag if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You mentioned updating MOBO drivers. What about the sound card's? Headphone plug-in (or out) changes set-up to 5.1, full range speakers, 24 bit, 48 kHz playback from your setting.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
You mentioned updating MOBO drivers. What about the sound card's? Headphone plug-in (or out) changes set-up to 5.1, full range speakers, 24 bit, 48 kHz playback from your setting.
I installed sound card drivers from the Gigabyte website, yes. The sound card is installed on the motherboard by default.

Funny you should mention the 5.1 thing. The sound problem depending on direction in games makes me think it has something to do with surround sound, and my speakers not supporting it. How do I check this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Go here to get the complete Owners Manual in PDF: Creative Worldwide Support
All settings are listed. Also, there was a product update.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Sounds more like a config issue. Such as using a fake surround mode or some sort of surround enhancement.

You can test you speaker setup using the speaker test in the audio control panel. It will play audio to each speaker.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Sounds more like a config issue. Such as using a fake surround mode or some sort of surround enhancement.

You can test you speaker setup using the speaker test in the audio control panel. It will play audio to each speaker.
I checked the settings. Looks like it was set up for a full surround system with subwoofer and all that other nonsense, but I only have a cheap left-right speaker. I set it up correctly now and will test it ASAP.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Member

That seems to have worked. Thanks all!
Old 06-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You're welcome. Have a great weekend.

Closed Thread