Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

[SOLVED] My PC Thinks My Headphones Are Speakers

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] My PC Thinks My Headphones Are Speakers within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OS - Windows 8.1 (64 Bit) I have a bit of a problem. I received a Gaming Headset for Christmas

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

OS - Windows 8.1 (64 Bit)

I have a bit of a problem. I received a Gaming Headset for Christmas (Steelseries 5h v2). Until that point I had used basic speakers (just 2, not surround sound)

I have several jacks on my PC. I have two on the front (Green & Pink) and several on the back. If I plug the headphones into the front jacks the PC recognizes them as headphones, but if I plug them into the back the PC seems to think they are speakers.

I have uploaded a couple of screenshots to show the problem. As you can see on the headphones screenshot, there seems to only be one jack set for them (Front Panel 3.5mm) whereas on the back there are several more but they are set for speakers.

Is there any way that I can plug my headset into the back and have the PC recognize them as headphones and not confuse them with speakers?

I only ask because the sound quality is much better when plugging the headset into the front of the PC which I assume is because the PC recognizes them as a headset, but when they are plugged into the back the sound quality is worse and the volume a lot lower.

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headset plugged into front.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	211154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Headset plugged into back.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	211162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Other info.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	211170  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

It's normal. The drivers assume any device connected to the rear/motherboard ports are speakers and any device connected to the front panel port are headphones. There is no way to actually detect what kind of device is connected, the drivers simply see that something is connected.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Ahh, that's fine then.

Thanks for your help!
Closed Thread