Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Rode mic and the default format

This is a discussion on Rode mic and the default format within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi I have the rode podcaster and I need to know why it wont let me change the default format

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi I have the rode podcaster and I need to know why it wont let me change the default format so I can put it to channel two, better sound, I cant find where to down load the drivers from there website I have driver genius and I wont update it so if some one could tell me what I could do please I need help, and if this is the wrong place to put something like this im sorry please tell me and ill move it, and if you wont to know the specs please tell me what specs so I can give you the info you need, wont to if it is the device or my computer, PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi 7Lachlan7 and welcome to TSF

Apparently, the latest drivers are also part of the 'firmware' updates, the latest of which is from 2008 - If you purchased your mic after that day, you have the latest software for it.

The mic itself is mono, so it will only output 1 channel - Where that channel goes depends on your PC's soundcard-drivers and/or your recording software.

Also, have you tried connecting the mic to a different USB-socket?

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

so I pretty sure where on the same page but does that really mean I can on co on channel 1? I attached a pic just to be sure, and if so what mic does channel two, I know I can get channel two when im the playback section?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rode podcaster default format greyed out.png
Views:	121
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	193650  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

To use the mic on the 2nd channel, you'd need either a stereo-mic or a 2nd mono mic, then assign it to Ch-2 - As to how, that depends on your audio-drivers and recording software, but there should be a setting somewhere to assign a mono input to either or both channels.

To use just one mono mic, try looking through the PC's mixer-panel and/or the recording-software's mixer.

I'm sorry I can' be of more help, it's been years since I last used a mic on my PC, I think it was back in Win-98 days....

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 09-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Just for clarification, the screenshot does not imply you are recording on "channel 1".

The description is stating that it is recording 1 channel (ie:left or right, as opposed to stating stereo, both left and right) in 24bit at 48000hz.

If you want stereo, you can open the recordings in most any audio software and duplicate the audio to the second channel and thus have "stereo".

The only real issue with 1 channel audio, is that it will only be left or right (I forget which is default) and not real mono audio (ie: same audio on both channels - left and right).

Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

thanks man, look at it options on audacity and your right but does anyone know about capture cards meaning the Hauppauge hd pvr 2 gaming edition, basically it has a mic recoding option but it wont record my mic audio, I have no idea why if you know could you help me out please.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I don't see a mic input on the HD PVR 2. >> HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition - Product Description

So your question is likely specific to whatever software you are using for the recording. The documentation should have basic setup/configuration diagrams.

Closed Thread