Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Right Speaker Failure From Any Sound Device

This is a discussion on Right Speaker Failure From Any Sound Device within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. About a week ago I noticed the output on the right speaker of my Logitech z313 speakers wasn't working properly.

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

About a week ago I noticed the output on the right speaker of my Logitech z313 speakers wasn't working properly. The sound on it would - and still does - fluctuate between very low and no sound at all (there was but one day where it work at normal standards). "Whatever," I thought. Just put my headphones into the jack of the speakers and there we go. It worked... for a time.

Not the case tonight.

I did just that a few minutes ago and now I'm finding my headphones' right speaker won't cooperate. After plugging those and a few other sets directly into my computer and finding a dead right earpiece, I concluded that there's an issue afoot in my system.

Now, I'm not a pro when it comes to tech, so perhaps this might not be a sound card issue at all. Either way, I figured I might as well start here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi RStriker

Are you using onboard sound or a 3rd-party sound-card? If 3rd-party, what make and model?

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 03-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #3
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Sometimes the loss of sound in one speaker indicated a bad jack. Does the problem occur in both the front and rear jacks? Also, check to see if you somehow changed the right-left balance. Test the speakers on another system to ensure they are function properly. If none of this works, I'd reinstall the sound driver. If you still have issues your sound module may have a hardware problem.

Here is a sound troubleshooting article that you might want to read too:

No sound in Windows - Windows Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

Alright, I'm back after looking inside to find the answer to WereBo's question. Funnily enough, after shutting my system completely down and turning it back on, my sound is back to normal. Well, I ain't about to call it good yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo
Are you using onboard sound or a 3rd-party sound-card?
It appears that I'm using onboard sound. No sound cards present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR
Does the problem occur in both the front and rear jacks?
I have no way of knowing for sure. Ever since the system was built, the frontal ports to anything - outside of disc drives - have never worked. I get "USB Device Not Recognized" when I insert a thumb drive, and there's no sound when I insert my speakers in my computer on the front. This will be another issue for later I'll solve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR
Test the speakers on another system to ensure they are function properly.
I tested my speakers and all other sound devices I used earlier on my phone and 3DS. they're all up to par on those systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR
lso, check to see if you somehow changed the right-left balance.
Where's the menu for this? I don't believe I've ever seen it before.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

LEFT RIGHT BALANCE

How To Adjust Audio Balance In Windows 7 | Next of Windows

FRONT PANEL

Open your case and see if the front panel wiring is connected to anything. If you have onboard sound there is a connection header for it. Also there should be a few USB headers. They may also never have been configured right. What is the make and model of your computer? If you need specifics we will need it to give them to you.

If you have Realtek sound (many computers do) and the Audio manager installed, you can easily change/check audio jack assignments.

Realtek HD Changing Jack output reassignments ( FIX ) - Page 12 - Windows 7 Help Forums
Closed Thread