Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

RED X over SPeaker Icon: Nothing Works

This is a discussion on RED X over SPeaker Icon: Nothing Works within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The proverbial RED X is over my desktop speaker icon. This happened when I took the PC speakers, plugged into

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

The proverbial RED X is over my desktop speaker icon. This happened when I took the PC speakers, plugged into my HDTV and then back to PC. I tried the speakers on another computer and worked fine. The red x happened after that.

Solutions:
1. system recovery. tried twice at two restore points, no difference.
2. deleted sound device. reinstalled. no difference.
3. allowed Win 7 to solve...says there is no device plugged into jack. tired all three jack options.

Win 7 says everything is working fine.

This is my dad's PC, he's 89 and without sound lost. I don't have the system disks, but do have a Win 7 install from my laptop. Appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

What worked makes no rational sense to me. It "broke" like it was fixed...

I plugged in another 3.5mmm jack and it took the red x off...I plugged into the headset jack and it worked...I plugged into the second of three 3.5mm jacks and it worked...but did all of this a few days ago and nothing.

Go figure???
Old 10-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Loose or failing switch in one of the jacks or the chipset itself could be failing. It may work for a few hours or days, and then fail again.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICON not shown properly!!!
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/852/oswinxpicondisappearanc.jpg/https://img852.imageshack.us/img852/6518/oswinxpicondisappearanc.jpg I have a very annoying problem. I have got an application as shown in the picture above. Why does only this application not show its own icon while it has...
tinfanide Windows XP Support 13 05-17-2011 11:44 PM
Left speaker off.
Ok , try to stay with me while i do this . I Have genius 2.1 speakers , with wofer. For some time , they were working just fine , untill like half year ago , when my left speaker just stoped working. I took them to a friend of mine and both were doing just fine . Also , at the same time when...
Lawlien Other Hardware Support 5 05-17-2011 02:52 PM
Realtek HD audio speaker output issue
I have a problem with a realtek HD audio card. I have no issues to hear the sound from laptop but from external speakers when I plug in a jack to laptopís speaker output. Laptop has mic in (pink) headphones out (green) S/PDIF & speaker out (black) if you enable, from realtek HD...
RonaldxXx Sound Cards 1 05-16-2011 07:55 AM
Sound only works out of 1 Speaker
I'm trying to fix my friends Audio problem. Only his right speaker works. I've tried using his speakers on 2 other pc's no problem and it worked no problem. I looked for the obvious things like the left and right balance but It's all centered. I uninstalled and reinstalled the real tek 97 driver,...
nickskip Windows XP Support 5 04-27-2011 04:03 PM