Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

No sound with turn table usb plugged in

This is a discussion on No sound with turn table usb plugged in within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Dimension 8250 running Windows XP. I also have a Brookstone iConvert USB Turntable. When I plug

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 running Windows XP. I also have a Brookstone iConvert USB Turntable. When I plug the USB for the Turntable into any USB port on my PC I get no sound from my speakers. The EZ Vinyl/Tape Converter software I use to convert the vinyl albums does not record because it is not seeing a audio signal from the turntable.

I have installed the same software (EZ Vinyl/Tape Converter) and plugged the Turntables USB into a Dell laptop running Windows 7 and all works fine.
The laptop has internal speakers where as the Dell 8250 has external speakers, however I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the issue.

Any ideas as to why the XP machine sound goes out when plugging the Turntable USB into it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi Rooster Lips and welcome to TSF

Does the turntable spin when it's connected to the Dell Dimension? Older Dell PCs were notorious for having minimum spec. power supply units, so it's possible that the power isn't enough to operate both turntable and onboard pre-amp in the turntable unit.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 05-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

The turntable does spin when connected to the Dell Dimension. The turn table is not powered by the Dell. It has it's own 120 AC power cord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Instead of using the 'EZ Vinyl/Tape Converter', try ripping using the Audacity recorder/editor - Link

You'll need the Win XP version (plus Service-Pack 2/3), near the bottom of the page.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 06-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

My OS is XP Professional with service pack 3.
I had previously tried using Audacity and I can rip a vinyl album, however I can not here the turntable input through my dell external speakers. In fact as long as I have the turntable usb plugged into any of my PC's usb ports I get no sound from my speakers.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Sounds like a configuration issue. Verify the audio setup. Specifically, ensure the correct audio chipset and output device (speakers) are selected as the default output device.

Closed Thread