Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

No sound, speakers unplugged

This is a discussion on No sound, speakers unplugged within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, I've got a problem and ask you for help. Two days ago after first launch of my computer during

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey, I've got a problem and ask you for help. Two days ago after first launch of my computer during a day I noticed that there is no sound from the PC, no matter there were speakers or headphones plugged or not (computer has internal speakers). The night before sound was working but I don't remember installing anything that day or manipulating with configuration somehow. After a whole day of struggle I couldn't solve the problem. I tried these solution:
- performing system restore to the moment, when everything worked fine
- operations with drivers, i.e. unistaling them and making Windows to reinstall them, and also installing Realtek High Definition drivers from different sources (earlier I had certain default drivers)
- reinstalling graphic card (some suggest it can help)

All those soultions were fruitless. I assume that indirect cause of problem might be that in Sound windows (on attached image) speakers are signed "Unplugged". Of course it doesn't change even if I plug anything. At the moment default device for playback is Realtek HDMI Output. When I start i.e. a video on youtube I see that for this device there is that jumping green column.

What's more after that problem with speakers appeared I launched the PC on Linux and sound was working there what means that it is not technical defect.

My computer is Esprimo e5730, therefore a mainboard is D2824-A11, a soundboard Realtek ALC663. Graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GT 430. System is Win7.

I'm asking you for help. I have no more ideas, and Windows reinstallation is something I'd like to dodge. Thanks in advance for your help. Screens are in Polish, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

"Realtek HDMI output" is the audio support for the HDMI output.

You need to set the standard chipset as the default and select the speakers as the output device.

As this appears to be a laptop, you should only use the drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer. I would suggest downloading and installing the audio drivers from the laptop manufacturers website.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
You need to set the standard chipset as the default and select the speakers as the output device.
Is it possible while according to the system speakers are unplugged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
As this appears to be a laptop, you should only use the drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer. I would suggest downloading and installing the audio drivers from the laptop manufacturers website.
Actually my PC, Esprimo e5730, is not a laptop. I already tried installing drivers from manufacturer website but with no luck. Before I installed Realtek driver there was default driver installed - "Device compatible with High Definition Audio Standard" - or something like that.

Thank you for response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi Apacz0 and welcome to TSF

What do you mean by the PC having internal speakers? Usually PC have a single small speaker (either traditional paper-cone type or a plastic tube with a quartz 'squeaker') that only makes beep noises when the PC is booted up or has a hardware fault.

Windows then feeds all sounds to the sound-chip (Realtek in your instance), which will output to headphones or powered speakers, often via front and rear sockets.

From what you've tried so far (Windows restore, new drivers etc.), I'm suspecting either a faulty h'phone socket or the audio-chip (or related circuitry) has died.

Have you tried your h'phones in both sockets? Try wobbling the h'phone plug very gently while plugged in (either socket), to see if any noises occur, it might just be a crackling noise, but it should help narrow down where the fault is

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 07-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
What do you mean by the PC having internal speakers?
Now I see it might have been not precise. My PC has (or rather had) possibility to play sound (from youtube for example) even if there is no speakers or headphones plugged. Of course with a bit worse quality. Those "internal speakers" are working under Linux, but not under Windows anymore. So I suppose it is not a technical defect.

Nevertheless thank you for response.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Aahh that makes sense now, thank you for clarifying that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apacz0 View Post
Is it possible while according to the system speakers are unplugged?
I'm not familiar with your specific PC's set-up for it's internal speakers, but in theory it should output the sounds through the speakers, then plugging the h'phones in will switch the speakers off and transfer the sounds to the h'phones - So, yes it should install OK

As the system works with Linux, than it's definitely a Windows fault (thank goodness, it'll save you having to get an audio-card )

Are you uninstalling the old Realtek drivers before installing the new one? Some PCs need the old ones removed entirely, before the new drivers will install correctly - Look under the 'Install/Remove programs' (I think it's on the Control-Panel, it's been a while since I used Win 7 ) and see if there's an entry for your Realtek, then click the Uninstall button, you might need to reboot to complete the removal, then install the new driver from Fujitsu (and possibly reboot again).

Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
Are you uninstalling the old Realtek drivers before installing the new one? Some PCs need the old ones removed entirely, before the new drivers will install correctly - Look under the 'Install/Remove programs' (I think it's on the Control-Panel, it's been a while since I used Win 7 ) and see if there's an entry for your Realtek, then click the Uninstall button, you might need to reboot to complete the removal, then install the new driver from Fujitsu (and possibly reboot again).
I tried this that way, but with no luck.

Quote:
Could you please tell me how can I do this?
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Download the highest version of Realtek HD audio drivers for Windows 7 (select 32-bit or 64-bit accordingly) available from Fujitsu Technical Support pages from Fujitsu Fujitsu Continental Europe, Middle East, Africa & India. Before you install them, uninstall the Realtek audio device from device manager then uninstall the drivers via Control Panel and reboot. Upon reboot, the audio device will be detected and may be installed using generic hd audio drivers available in Windows Seven or will not be installed at all due to missing drivers (yellow exclamation mark). Confirm this in device manager. Clear the temp folder and install the newly downloaded drivers and reboot.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Download the highest version of Realtek HD audio drivers for Windows 7 (select 32-bit or 64-bit accordingly) available from Fujitsu Technical Support pages from Fujitsu Fujitsu Continental Europe, Middle East, Africa & India. Before you install them, uninstall the Realtek audio device from device manager then uninstall the drivers via Control Panel and reboot. Upon reboot, the audio device will be detected and may be installed using generic hd audio drivers available in Windows Seven or will not be installed at all due to missing drivers (yellow exclamation mark). Confirm this in device manager. Clear the temp folder and install the newly downloaded drivers and reboot.
I tried it, but there is still no sound. Speakers are still signed as unplugged.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apacz0 View Post
I tried it, but there is still no sound. Speakers are still signed as unplugged.
Try disabling onboard audio and internal speakers in BIOS, reboot, re-enable them and reboot again. Resetting BIOS to default settings has also worked for some, so try that too or alternatively, clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for a few seconds.

Are you dual-booting Windows and Linux or did you just run the live OS off of the installation media?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:03 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Are you dual-booting Windows and Linux or did you just run the live OS off of the installation media?
I am not sure if I understand your question properly but I run Linux from CD.

Actually I have managed to narrow down the problem. In my PC front panel doesn't work. However, I discovered that there is also back panel and this one works. Nevertheless I'd like to have front panel not disabled, as it was a few days ago, because it's more comfortable to use it. Stancestans - could your solution with BIOS work with this kind of problem also?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
Registered Member

Okey, when I was unplugging headphones from back panel, suddenly front panel started to work, because music was played by those "internal speakers". That's strange, dunno how to explain that.

Thanks for all of you for help! The problem is solved.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Headphone sockets have a switch built in that directs the audio from internal to external speakers (h'phones) - These sockets are often 'open' i.e. not covered in plastic, so dust etc. can build up or the metal surfaces get a thin coat of oxide that will break the electrical contact, see the pic below.

Pushing a plug in and out several times is enough to either dislodge the dust, or clean the contacts, which seems to have cured your problem

Glad you got it fixed and if you're happy all is now well, you can mark the thread <Solved> using the 'Thread Tools' button, near the top-right of the page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	288121  

Closed Thread