Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

No Sound On Laptop

This is a discussion on No Sound On Laptop within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am working for a charity and have been given a donation of a Toshiba laptop. The problem is that

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:34 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I am working for a charity and have been given a donation of a Toshiba laptop. The problem is that there is no sound.

In the system tray, the speaker icon has a red "x" beside it.

I attach a file with 4 photos (taken from Device Manager etc.)

I've uninstalled the drivers and restarted windows but no change.

Is it possible there is actually no audio device at all.

Tommy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toshiba.pdf (866.6 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

How about model # so we can try to help!
My guess is you need to go to Toshiba site and find newest audio driver and download and install but if older model probably no updates so we need to find audio card maker and see what they have to offer.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Rich-M

It's a Toshiba Satellite S50D-A-10H I believe it is a discontinued model.

It's Toshiba Europe, by the way.

There's a possibility there is no card, I suppose, as I believe it was originally donated from a repair shop.

Laptop works perfectly except for sound.

Tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

There won't be an audio card, it'll be integrated into the laptop's motherboard. If you go here:

Toshiba

Family: Satellite
Series: Satellite S50-A
Model: S50D-A-10H

click go
click download drivers
leave everything as "all" except:
driver type: Sound Driver

You get 9 options. Win 7 32/64, win 8 & 8.1

hope this helps
Old 07-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Well it had a card and maybe it doesn't work but video cards and audio cards were the biggest casualties for driver issues in Windows 10.
Go here and put in the model info if you have to as you should do "the system driver" first which I believe to be the chipset driver then all that apply:
Toshiba : Select Model

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks jaythorpe522 - unfortunately (which I should have stated earlier) I'm using Windows 10

Thanks also Rich-M. I downloaded and ran the file. It brings up an app called DTSPremiumSoundInstaller. Ran it and it errored "This product does not support DTS processing"

Tommy
Old 07-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Did you run the system driver first? Try running the display driver after system driver.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Rich-M

I will need my hand held a little with this. I'm not sure what you want me to do. Can you elaborate?

Also, should I create a restore point?

Tommy
Old 07-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Ok never run a driver for anything on a system without first running the chipset driver which I believe is the system driver here and it is listed as that. Some audio drivers are reliant on video driver and there is also a display driver there listed where the other drivers are so that is why I suggested that. It appears the audio is DTS as I saw that lsited in the specs so if this doesn't do it the only other thing I can think of which frankly I would have done anyway when taking a pc from someone else is reinstall Windows fresh which you can do in 10 using the Media Creator Creator UPdate dvd found here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
choosing "download tool now"

Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Rich-M

I don't have a dvd drive.

Also, it says "To get started, you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10" Where do I get this?

Tommy
Old 07-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

What OS is on the laptop if 8 or 10 code is already remembered in the bios so choose "skip license code" during the install. It it is Windows 7 there should be a sticker on it with license code which will be accepted in Windows 10 as the code.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:35 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomohawk View Post
unfortunately (which I should have stated earlier) I'm using Windows 10 . . .
No worries -- my laptop stopped its drivers at 7 and 8.x also; it has run windows 10 just fine, right up until the 'creator' release (actually, problems happened on update Tuesday/Crash Wednesday about 4-5 months ago), but chances are the problems were because of my meddling. Anyway, the laptop-specific drivers for win7 & 8.x may just work fine for Win10. I did have to pick and choose, iirc, for the networking drivers -- I had to hunt them down on the lenovo site. but everything else was a smooth transition whenever I went from 7 to 10, with almost exclusively 7 drivers.

Listen to anything Rich-M says before me, of course. I'm just a fiddler . . .
Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks jaythorpe522

It's Windows 10 Rich-M

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding here, but if re-installing Windows 10 will "find" the correct driver, why can't I find it? I hope you'll understand my reluctance, as this laptop belongs to a charity and not me. Last time I re-installed Windows, a lot of stuff was lost.

Tommy
Old 07-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Did you run the system driver first? Try running the display driver after system driver.
Hi Rich-M

Yes - I ran the system first, then the display and then the audio (still with DTS error)

Tommy
Old 07-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

For information, when I go to Device Manager and open "Sound, video and game controllers", I get the following list:-

AMD High Definition Audio Device
Properties = "this device is working properly"

IDT High Definition Audio Codec
Properties = "No drivers are installed for this device" (although when I click on Driver Details, there is a file visible).

Are we confident that the issue is NOT related to hardware, or are we working through a process by elimination.

Tommy
Old 07-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Since you never said you were on Windows 10 I was looking at the install to fix the issue assuming also "your fiddling" may have corrupted something. There is no place I know of to go to find Windows 10 drivers for all systems from Microsoft. That said I still believe when you get a computer from someone else, the very best thing you can do is reinstall Windows because you have no idea what the user's experience is and why care what is on it anyway as it belonged to someone else?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for your continued support Rich-M.

I will seek agreement from the owners to re-install Windows 10, but if that doesn't work, where do we go then?

The charity are getting frustrated with me and I'm sure you are too. I understand that it's difficult when you can't actually put your hands on the device to see for yourself, so please bear with me. I'm trying my best, with my limited knowledge, to help them.

Tommy
Old 07-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #18
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

If reinstall doesn't fix it and you want audio, the next thing to try would be usb audio card I would say.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:56 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

For completion, I got a working solution via post #5 in this link:-

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...ling-10-a.html

Thanks jaythorpe522 and Rich-M for your continued support. It is very much appreciated.

Tommy
Old 07-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

OK glad to hear it...

Closed Thread