Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

No sound from left speaker.

This is a discussion on No sound from left speaker. within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a unique problem that I have never come across before. I have no sound out of my left

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a unique problem that I have never come across before.

I have no sound out of my left speaker.

I am in Windows 8.1 64 bit
Motherboard is an Asus maximus iv gene z/gen3
I was using the audio from this for the longest time until I noticed my left earbud was no longer working. so I switched to speakers. the clarity of the speakers were really good so I never noticed the speaker being out until i started to play with the balance. Now since then it has been bugging me.
I had a little logitech 2 speaker + sub woofer setup so i switched it out for the logitech 5.1 setup. it is the exactly same no left speaker sound.

I swapped out the left speaker with the right and right with the left.. and the speaker was working fine. but still no sound out of the left side which is now the right speaker.. so i put it back. after this time I thought maybe the jack on the motherboard is going bad. I then decided to by a sound card. I got the Sound Blaster recon core 3d pcie it sounds super amazing the clarity is perfect but i still have no sound out of my left speaker. I even went into my bios and disabled my HD audio onboard setup. im really stumped at what else this could be. the sound from the motherboard should not interfere with a sound card. and vise versa. I even went as far as to boot into Mint a linux distro that boots off of the CD and again no left speaker. so It is not a windows 8 issue. does anyone have ANY idea what could be going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Did you test both the onboard chipset and the Creative card using Linux?

Otherwise, I have no idea. The only obvious thing at this point would be the motherboard itlself. But as you noted, the actual motherboard audio chipset shouldn't interfere/alter an addon card.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

actually I have not tried to use the sound card in linux yet. just the onboard.

latest update I even tried flashing my bios.. I'm not sure what is going on..still no sound out of the left speaker..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Since you tried 2 different speakers (2.1 and 5.1 setups) and still have the issue on both the onboard and PCI sound card....is very perplexing.

Have you tried updating the drivers for both onboard and PCI sound card?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have updated both drivers :( and yes now I have tried the sound card in linux.. same issue.. I am floored.. I have no idea.. I am about to give up..

just tried headphones again and only sound on the right side..

could there be jumpers on my motherboard or a short somewhere? but why would that cause conflict with my sound card? grrr..
Old 11-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I have no idea. Nothing on motherboard should interfere with the function of the sound card.

You could try disabling the onboard audio (if you haven't already). I've never seen onboard audio interfere with an addon card, but anything is possible.

Closed Thread