Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

No Sound except a high-pitched beep

This is a discussion on No Sound except a high-pitched beep within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I wasn't quite sure where to place this, outside of somewhere related to sound. If there is a more appropriate

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I wasn't quite sure where to place this, outside of somewhere related to sound. If there is a more appropriate location for this thread, please let me know or move it yourself (if you're able to, of course).
After fighting with some kind of error or malware, I had to get a completely new hard drive and reinstall windows onto it. After that lengthy process, I noticed that I had absolutely no sound. I took none of the hardware out, except the hard drive, and it was working perfectly fine before. I know neither my speakers or headphones are broken because they worked perfectly in my phone.

General Specs
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor
Audio Device: Realtek HD Audio

I installed all the drivers I could find (the motherboard had an installation CD, plus I checked all the sites that could relate to my components).

Did I miss something? Let me know, and thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

A bit of an update. My sound now just merely crackles and makes static noises. No actual audio still though. When I turn on my computer, it usually sounds... windy? It's like a constant blowing sound like listening to a fan from the other side of a phone line. It eventually just dies down to the static every couple of seconds.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi SummerH

It's very possible it's the audio-chip that's died, onboard audio is usually the 'weakest' part of a motherboard - If you can't hear any 'sensible' sounds from Youtube, .MP3-files or video, through the noises, then it's not software, seeing as you tried the original drivers on the CDs

The only cure is to fit a new audio-card.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry I never responded.
Thanks, I guess I'll be looking for a good one then. I was pretty sure the motherboard had a built-in card, so I honestly don't know if it's possible to "replace" (I guess just put a new one on it). It sounds silly, I'm sure, but I haven't played with computer guts as much as I just know about them.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Try the Motherboard manufacturers website for the chip drivers for that model board, they might help.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Audio-cards just press into the appropriate slot, the hardest part usually is either finding a screwdriver to open the case, or flattening/disposing the packaging

Don't forget to uninstall the old sound-chip drivers first, it can save lots of conflicts etc. later - Depending on the specific motherboard, you might need to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Closed Thread