Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

No Sound even though computer says device is working

This is a discussion on No Sound even though computer says device is working within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I just finished installing Win 7 Pro on a laptop that used to be Win XP. It appears that

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I just finished installing Win 7 Pro on a laptop that used to be Win XP.

It appears that all the drivers are installed, even the sound card driver says "this device is working properly", but I can't hear any sounds coming out of the laptop at all. When I plug in a head phone, there is still no sound.

If I was to go to Windows Media Player and play some music it would act as if it were playing but, I don't hear anything.

I have tried looking for, and updating the driver but every time I do, it says that it already has the best driver installed. Although the actual sound card is "SoundMAX integrated HD Audio" and the driver showing in Device Manager has a generic name, "High Definition Audio Device".

One other thing I have noticed just by looking at other computers in our house, is that if you go to "control panel", "sound", "playback tab" there is only one item in the list and it is not speakers, it is a pic of an audio device. It does have a green check mark, but there is not a speaker pic.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to get some sound out of this laptop?

Thanks
computersrkool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

hi one thing I would check to see if audio is enabled in the bios.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

First and foremost, the only drivers recommended for a laptop are those provided by the laptop manufacturer. If they don't support the OS on that model, then it can be a huge matter of trial and error trying to find a driver that will work. Laptops generally don't use the standard drivers released for specific hardware/chipsets.

Having said all of that, check Device Manager for any devices with alerts (ie: yellow or red symbols). Those devices require drivers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, I checked out the bios once, but wasn't able to see anything about sound there, I assume that there is more to my bios than I was able to see at that time, but haven't got a chance to get back into it yet. So I still need to explore that more.

As to checking in Device Manager, as far as I can see there are not any red or yellow symbols marked on any of my devices.

I did go to Lenovo's Support site and can not find my laptop there, meaning when they ask for your computers model number or serial number either way when I type these in it says your search did not turn up any results.
What I am getting from this is that they are not providing any support for my laptop anymore. They also have a program that you can install on your computer , that will help them identify your computer and it does not find any results either.

Thanks again for your suggestions I will try to check out the bios again, and get back to you with my results.

computersrkool
Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi just wondering if anyone has any opinions on "Driver Restore" somehow last night when I was searching support from Lenovo, I was directed to "Driver Restore" to update my drivers for my laptop. I downloaded it and this afternoon installed it. It said that I have 11 drivers that need updating. In order to get them, or even see which ones they are you have to register and pay. I was thinking of going ahead and doing it, but decided to wait until I got more information about what others thought of the program, and whether it was a good idea or not.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks
computersrkool
Old 04-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Third party driver finder software not needed. You get the drivers from the device manufacturer

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok, thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly about that. I should probably uninstall "Driver Restore" then.

Thanks again
Shelley
Old 04-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I recommend never using software like "driver restore".
They tend to cause more issues and can install malware.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

What's your laptop's make and model? It's possible to install XP or Vista (if available) sound drivers on Windows Seven and get your audio device working. I've done this on many XP-era Compaq SFFs and a Dell 3100 when Soundmax was quite common and in some systems the sound cards were installed as generic HD audio, but wouldn't make a sound, exactly like in your case.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #10
Registered Member

Oh my Laptop is a

Lenovo 3000 n100
Serial Number L3-K1569
Product ID 0768 7ZU

I wondered about that but didn't know if was ok to do.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:42 AM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by computersrkool View Post
Oh my Laptop is a

Lenovo 3000 n100
Serial Number L3-K1569
Product ID 0768 7ZU

I wondered about that but didn't know if was ok to do.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.
Take a look here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows...er/td-p/106778
Old 04-08-2016, 08:53 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
So I spent quite a long time looking over this Lenovo Forum (that you gave me in the link), and I tried a lot of the links to driver downloads that were there and finally (with the suggestion of one of the forum posters) on a different method of how to install the driver, I was able to get it installed.

So now I have the driver that I'm supposed to have (SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio) and I've noticed that now there is a speaker with a green checkmark, when I go to "Sound" and click the "Playback" tab. Before there was no pic of a speaker, just an audio box with a green checkmark.

Although all of this looks promising, I still don't hear any sound from the speakers or from the head phone jack.

Thanks for pointing me to this, I'm not quite sure what is happening but I will keep working at it and hopefully I will soon get it working.

computersrkool
Old 04-09-2016, 04:26 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'm not sure that Soundmax is the correct audio driver as listed for your model laptop is
Audio Codec
AD1986A
Have a look through this list of Lenovo audio drivers and note it shows Realtek and Soundmax, but your model shows Realtek, but no Windows 7 drivers.
https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html
You will have to install also the UAA driver for audio to function.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

I noticed in the Lenovo forum that I was looking through yesterday that they were saying that my laptop was supposed to have the Realtek driver, but before I reformated my laptop (when it was still an XP) I did a Belarc report of it, and it showed my driver as SoundMAX. So I was quite confused by the forum saying that my laptop model should have the Realtek driver.

Anyhow I am interested in your post, maybe for some reason in XP it worked with the Soundmax driver but in 7 it won't. I will definitely take a look into your link and see if this may be my problem.

Thanks so much
I hope this will be the solution to my "no sound" issue.
computersrkool
Old 04-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

Wow, I'm not sure how you got to these web pages, but in the whole time I've been looking for support from Lenovo, I was not able to get to anything like this. Every time I tried to input my laptops model number it just said "there are no results for this".

Now should I use the Vista drivers for both the sound card and the UAA, since there is nothing for Windows 7?

Thanks again
computersrkool
Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther063 View Post
I'm not sure that Soundmax is the correct audio driver as listed for your model laptop is
Audio Codec
AD1986A
Have a look through this list of Lenovo audio drivers and note it shows Realtek and Soundmax, but your model shows Realtek, but no Windows 7 drivers.
https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html
You will have to install also the UAA driver for audio to function.
I went through the Lenovo EOL page and tried over and over again, even on different computers to download my drivers but when I clicked on the download links, it just took me to a new page but no download took place.

The UAA driver would not download either.

computersrkool
Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sorry I hadn't tried downloading any drivers from there.
It seems they may have removed or discontinued drivers for that model laptop.
You may have more luck using Vista as the operating system as it was designed for that and not Windows 7.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:51 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

SoundMAX is the correct driver for your laptop (0768- 7ZU). Realtek is for models 0768- Exx, Fxx and Gxx and yours isn't any of those. The download links are working; I was able to download both Realtek and SoundMAX drivers using them. If your browser isn't automatically starting the downloads, right-click the link and select Save link as. Here's the link for the SoundMAX driver for Vista https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub...s/61ae03ww.exe

I don't think you need UAA bus driver on Windows XP SP3 and higher. I've never had to install UAA since XP SP3 for HD audio devices to work. As you can see, there are no UAA downloads for XP SP3 and higher. Remove the driver you currently have installed. Go to Contol Panel > Programs and Features and use the entry for SoundMAX if present. If it's not there, go to Device Manager, right-click the audio device and select uninstall. When asked whether to delete the driver, select yes (mark/tick the checkbox) and finish the uninstallation. Reboot and the audio device should no longer be using the SoundMAX driver. Run the driver you downloaded using the link above. First try running it normally (just double-click it to start the installation). If the installation doesn't complete successfully, rerun it in compatibility mode for Windows Vista.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #19
Registered Member

Hi, thanks again, I am about to go and give this a shot. Thanks for the very specific instructions, sometimes it's assumed that if one is on this site/forum that they should know all the simple details, and sometimes we seeking assistance, are too embarrassed/proud to ask for specific details.
So thanks again and never feel like any little detail is too simple to mention.

computersrkool
Old 04-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
Registered Member

Hi, I've tried all your instructions and everything went beautifully except once I rebooted my computer, before I got a chance to click on the exe file that I downloaded, the computer was already installing it's version of the driver, "High Definition Audio Device" and so when I did click on the exe file it did an installation but did not make a difference since the audio driver was already installed. How do I get it not to autamatically install the microsoft driver?

computersrkool
Closed Thread