Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

No onboard sound-doesn't show device

This is a discussion on No onboard sound-doesn't show device within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. My onboard sound device is not working and it no longer shows up in the list of SOUND devices

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. My onboard sound device is not working and it no longer shows up in the list of SOUND devices from the speaker icon in the bottom right corner. I am running a Acer X3400G with Windows 10. I've tried restarting and Defender
without any luck. I tried to run a sfc in command prompt but it said that I had to be an administrator (My account IS an administrator) running a console session (whatever that is). I used the syntax "sfc /scan now". Can you teach me how to type a sfc line in command prompt that will work? I thought maybe the sound driver got knocked out somehow and that sfc could re-install it.
Onboard sound does not show up in device manager either. The only sound capability I have now is from my Nvidia video card and it only works with my Sony Wi-Fi headphones while using the TV or watching a dvd or movie from the hard drive. Last night Nvidia put out an upgrade to the driver and I installed it -Do you think this new driver caused the problem with my onboard sound? I like to use my corded Seinhausser headphones for music from the computer but the Nvidia card doesn't have an output for the 1/8 inch jack. Please tell me how to do an sfc properly and also keep in mind that
my computer upgraded to win 10 from win 7 online and I don't have a physical copy of Win 10, but there should be a complete 2nd incidence of it on my 900GB hard drive for the purposes of sfc. I cant recall the site that I used to download and install win 10- maybe Microsoft? I know this is kind of long-winded but I wanted to give you all the facts. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The command is sfc /scannnow

But that will not fix driver issues. That command only verifies Windows core files (OS related files).

The nVidia drivers shouldn't have affected the audio drivers. At least not in a way to cause the device to no longer be recognized.

Check Device Manager and ensure the audio chipset is still listed. If it's not, it's likely a hardware failure. If it is, ensure there aren't any error indicators.

Closed Thread