Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

New Video card, lost sound on sound card

This is a discussion on New Video card, lost sound on sound card within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently installed a new Video card, and I have lost my sound. I have a EVGA Geforce GTX 1660

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently installed a new Video card, and I have lost my sound.
I have a EVGA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti, and a Creative Soundblaster Z sound card.
The soundcard was working fine until I installed the video card.
Now all of a sudden the music fades in and out really badly, and pops and cracks really badly as well.
I have my monitor hooked up via an HDMI cable, and I set the default sound in my control panel to the creative sound card, and it still sounds crappy.
The onboard sound on my Asus board even sounds bad.
I have tried to uninstall of the software for all of the components, and just use the soundblaster card, but nothing works.
I have the video card in the top slot, and the soundcard in the bottom slot.
Do those slots share the same part of the board causing the issues?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Tell us more about your hardware components, that is, full make and model of the motherboard and power supply (include wattage) and how sound is received from the PC to the speakers (directly or via a receiver).

If your monitor has inbuilt speakers, try setting the default playback device to the GPU's HDMI audio output and see if the issue affects that as well. It's possible there is a hardware conflict since all of them are connected to the system's PCI bus anyway. Try resetting cmos by removing the coin-cell battery for at least 15 seconds. This may force the firmware to reassign IRQs to the devices and avoid or solve conflicts. It's also possible the system is underpowered.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have an Asus Z170-A with a 750 Watt PS, 8 Gigs of DDR4 PC3000 memory, Intel dual core 6th gen @ 3.7 Ghz. Speakers are hooked up to the Soundblaster Z sound card. (They worked fine before the installation of the video card)
I have a 32" TV for a monitor with the HDMI speakers set to the video card. With it hooked up that way the sound works great via the TV. With the speakers not so good. I have a Plantronics wireless headset, and the sound on it is choppy as well.
I will have to look, but I think the software for the mobo sound is still installed.
I went in, and disabled all of the sound except the sound card, and it didn't make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

I can reset the CMOS via an app on my desktop. I will try that, and if it don't work, I will reset it via the mobo. I can reset it either by moving a pin header, or as you said to remove the battery, and reset it that way.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakerBill View Post
I can reset the CMOS via an app on my desktop. I will try that, and if it don't work, I will reset it via the mobo. I can reset it either by moving a pin header, or as you said to remove the battery, and reset it that way.
No app for that. Using the jumper (pin header) works too. Don't forget to do this while the system is shut down and unplugged. For good measure, also unplug ALL other externally connected device, including your monitor and speakers, then press the power button for several seconds as if to turn it on, so as to drain any residual current from the system. 750W PSU, but which make and model?
Closed Thread