Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Need help with Creative SB0670

This is a discussion on Need help with Creative SB0670 within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am having trouble setting up my soundcard to play sound. My pc says that there is sound however

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I am having trouble setting up my soundcard to play sound. My pc says that there is sound however there is non being outputted through any of the ports.

I have downloaded all the drivers from creative and disabled the intergrated soundchip on my motherboard (which doesnt really have one anyways, it only outputs in SPDIF).

One thing I have noticed:
I have two audio outputs in the audio output settings. SPDIF OUT (Creative X-Fi) and Speakers (Creative X-Fi). I can select the SPDIF to be the default and I can play mp3 files with sound detected in the volume settings, however no sound is actually outputted. If I try changing the default to Speakers it says that an application is already using this and it cannot be set as the default, I cant do a sound test on it either. If I try playing an mp3 now i receive an error message.

Any help is well appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Hi,

Do you have any audio applications (for example iTunes) running in the background? If so, try disabling it.

Also turn "exclusive control for applications" off in Control Panel - how to:
Go to Control Panel > Sound. Highlight Speakers, then click Properties.
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	274482

Another window opens. Click the Advanced tab, then untick "Allow applications to take exclusive control...". Click Apply, then OK.

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	274490

Restart the PC if your sound doesn't start working.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal74 View Post
Hi,

Do you have any audio applications (for example iTunes) running in the background? If so, try disabling it.

Also turn "exclusive control for applications" off in Control Panel - how to:
Go to Control Panel > Sound. Highlight Speakers, then click Properties.
Attachment 274482

Another window opens. Click the Advanced tab, then untick "Allow applications to take exclusive control...". Click Apply, then OK.
Attachment 274490

Restart the PC if your sound doesn't start working.
I have no idea why it's not working at this point. I reinstalled windows 7 ultimate from scratch on the hard drive and downloaded chrome and the drivers, without applying any updates and nothing. I applied the updates and still nothing.
I got the drivers from their official support site.

The build is pretty aged but from what I remember the card used to work perfectly before. I dont have the original driver disc since once again the build is pretty old and i dont really have any of the original packaging and driver discs for any of the components.

I tried disabling the onboard sound (HDMI audio in the bios even though there is no integrated sound on the mobo). The motherboard used to come with its own soundcard but I have no idea where that one is.
I disabled the option that allows the soundcard to be used exclusively by some programs but that didn't help either.

The soundcard requires 2.1 PCI-e and i just checked my motherboard and it says it supports PCI 2.0. Could this be the issue?

I managed to get the soundcard to work a bit in Counterstrike GO
By using Creative Alchemy ( Restores hardware accelerated audio for EAX effects and 3d audio while playing direct sound 3d games) I am getting a very bit munched sound while playing csgo.
Everything else is still the same and not working. The sound only works in game and is VERY bit munched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 04:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

I'm pretty sure the Creative SB0670 (X-Fi XtremeMusic) is a PCI card - not PCI-E. The difference is easy to see by looking at the slot-connector, it's much wider on a PCI card.

X-Fi XtremeMusic (SB0670) card:

PCI 2.1 cards should be backwards compatible with PCI 2.0 motherboards, unless the card/driver needs a specific PCI 2.1 feature.

There seems to be a lot of problems with the older X-Fi cards on Windows 7.
I think you should uninstall the driver in Device Manager:
Open Device Manager and find your soundcard under "Sound, video and game controllers". Right-click and choose "Uninstall".

Name:	devman.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	278369

When confirming the device uninstall - tick "Delete the software for this device".

Then go to Control Panel and uninstall all Creative software.

Turn the computer off (not restart). Disconnect the PC from main power, then move the soundcard to another PCI slot.

Start the computer and let Windows install a driver automatically.
When/if the sound is working you can always use a third-party mixer to optimize the sound.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal74 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Creative SB0670 (X-Fi XtremeMusic) is a PCI card - not PCI-E. The difference is easy to see by looking at the slot-connector, it's much wider on a PCI card.

X-Fi XtremeMusic (SB0670) card:

PCI 2.1 cards should be backwards compatible with PCI 2.0 motherboards, unless the card/driver needs a specific PCI 2.1 feature.

There seems to be a lot of problems with the older X-Fi cards on Windows 7.
I think you should uninstall the driver in Device Manager:
Open Device Manager and find your soundcard under "Sound, video and game controllers". Right-click and choose "Uninstall".

Attachment 278369

When confirming the device uninstall - tick "Delete the software for this device".

Then go to Control Panel and uninstall all Creative software.

Turn the computer off (not restart). Disconnect the PC from main power, then move the soundcard to another PCI slot.

Start the computer and let Windows install a driver automatically.
When/if the sound is working you can always use a third-party mixer to optimize the sound.
I managed to make it work using daniel_k's SB X-Fi Series Support Pack 3.8.
I just installed it and restarted my pc and sound is working perfectly.
Thanks for the help anyways, i appreciate it. The pack should be pinned somewhere it's really useful:

daniel_k's SB X-Fi Series Support Pack 3.8 (10/22/2015)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Glad you got it working - thanks for posting the solution.
Creative's drivers for "older" soundcards on "newer" operating systems are wonky, to say the least...
Took me quite a while to make my ancient Audigy 2 Platinum play nicely with Windows 7.
Closed Thread