Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Microphone barely picks up voice.

This is a discussion on Microphone barely picks up voice. within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've been recording harsh vocal covers for quite some time now, and I've never had an issue with my

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I've been recording harsh vocal covers for quite some time now, and I've never had an issue with my microphone. However, I did this on my old Macbook Pro. Recently, I wanted to move my microphone setup to my PC, though every time I check the audio quality, the microphone picks up a heavy amount of static, which gets louder when I speak. Not only this, but the default volume is EXTREMELY quiet. The reason for the static is because I have to turn the microphone boost to +30dB, or else you cant hear me at all.

I've read on many forums that this can be caused by the connection I am using. Currently, i have an ASUS motherboard with a Realtek onboard sound, which can be connected into by a pink 3.5mm jack on the back of my computer. I have read that the 3.5 mm jack is unsuitable for my microphone setup (a CAD GXL3000 which runs into a TASCAM US4x4 that again, runs into the 3.5mm jack) as it is a highly unstable method of connection, and a USB would be better.

However, I cannot connect a USB into my soundcard.

So this is my dilemma:

Should I get a new USB sound card, separate from the motherboard, and plug my TASCAM into that? Should I hook a USB cord from my tascam, and then put it into a female usb to male 3.5 converter which runs into my computer?

Is there a solution I'm missing?

If I left anything out, please ask questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! - a tech newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Any USB type mic doesn't "connect" to your sound card. It will have it's own drivers and show up as a seperate device. The sound card is only used for device directly connected to it.

So you could get a standalone USB mic, or a new sound card (internal or external) which has the port necessary for your mic.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ah, alright, I'll try the sound card option. Thanks so much!
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Microphone Troubles...
Hello All, I have been trying to get a microphone set up to record the voice work for my animation final, but I've encountered some difficulties... I am using a Peavy PVM 520TN microphone with a 3pin XLR to USB Cable. My computer is a MacBook Pro (13" 2011 model) running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow...
sandydoggy Electronics 1 05-12-2013 02:48 PM
MICROPHONE : RECORD MY VOICE ?
can i plug-in a $10 cheap microphone (walk man size jack) into my windows/xp, 2004 dell desktop and record my voice ? do i need software to do this ? there is a microphone icon at the bottom right of my desktop, to the left of sound icon. thanks i want to record 15 minutes per day, and combine...
muddy123 Other Hardware Support 1 08-08-2011 10:01 AM
Half-Life 2 crash before launch
Upon launching the game through steam or using a desktop shortcut you see it begin to launch in the task manager then shortly after you see WerFault.exe pop up and the description windows reporting error, there is nothing that visibly appears on the screen stating their was a crash or error. I...
Kilour PC Gaming Support 0 03-23-2011 04:19 PM
Incredebly Strange Problem: Microphone picks up speakers.
Okay, so as stated, I have this very odd problem. My microphone does not work. In the sense that it does not pick up any sounds I make in it, whatsoever. No matter what software I'm using, wether it's recording, chatting, or even the windows testing, it does not work. What it does, however, is pick...
Fnorkus Sound Cards 3 02-20-2011 10:36 AM
[SOLVED] Microphone not detecting voice
My Microphone does not detect my voice or anything on the outside of the computer. But it does detect computer volume. I tried using different headsets and the same thing happened. I could not find any solution to this so maybe you can help me?
maryo1912 Other Hardware Support 5 02-11-2011 07:51 PM