Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Loose audio jack

This is a discussion on Loose audio jack within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the audio jack to my laptop is loose, as in: when I plugged

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

A few weeks ago, I noticed that the audio jack to my laptop is loose, as in: when I plugged my speakers in, the sound would not be as full and I think only come from the right speaker. It wasn't the cable's fault since I tested two different ones and when I move the plug up in the right direction I can get full sound again.
Then a few days later, the laptop's built in speakers stopped working and so did the mic. I talked to a guy from a computer repair shop and he said the two issues are not related and something with my sound card is wrong?! Could that be? My theory is just that some stuff there is loose and needs some soldering or replace the audio jack.
I know this is no software issue that you guys can help me solve as it needs some actual tinkering but I would like to understand more about this.

Model: ASUS K451LN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If the jack is loose (as you describe), it could be affecting audio chipset/speakers. For example, when you connect headphones, the audio chipset disables the speakers. So if the jack is loose, and now shorted, the audio chipset could be seeing the short (and thus thinking headphones are attached) and disabling the speakers.

Go to a different repair shop.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

JimE is entirely right, with one assumption -- you said you talked to a guy at a repair shop. You literally only talked to him, right? He didn't check out the machine? If he made that recommendation just on you describing the problem, go to another shop. If he did any tests on the machine, don't discount it just because it's not a good answer for you.

That being said, you could also try disabling the driver for the audio card and re-enabling it. I don't think it'll work, especially if you have a reason to think it'd be loose (like, you knocked your headphone cable kinda hard), BUT, I did once have a microphone-to-1/8" connector that was *just a hair* too thick. Once (the last time I used this particular cable in a laptop, incidentally . . .) when I pulled it out of my laptop's mic/line in jack, I immediately got unattenuated feedback coming through the laptop speakers, which wouldn't go away unless the microphone input was muted (which makes absolutely no sense, because the laptop had no built-in microphone). Anyway, long story short, the only way I could fix it was to uninstall and reinstall the audio driver, which reset whatever logic circuit got tripped over by what I assume was a short in the jack caused by the connector being just a bit oversized.

So if the connector is more or less OK, and just got mucked up by a temporary short, that fix might do ya, but, based on the progression (one channel went 'out' first), I've likely just wasted several paragraphs of good prose, and the time of all who have read this, in a vain effort to provide alternate assistance. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaythorpe522 View Post
JimE is entirely right, with one assumption -- you said you talked to a guy at a repair shop. You literally only talked to him, right? He didn't check out the machine? If he made that recommendation just on you describing the problem, go to another shop. If he did any tests on the machine, don't discount it just because it's not a good answer for you.

That being said, you could also try disabling the driver for the audio card and re-enabling it. I don't think it'll work, especially if you have a reason to think it'd be loose (like, you knocked your headphone cable kinda hard), BUT, I did once have a microphone-to-1/8" connector that was *just a hair* too thick. Once (the last time I used this particular cable in a laptop, incidentally . . .) when I pulled it out of my laptop's mic/line in jack, I immediately got unattenuated feedback coming through the laptop speakers, which wouldn't go away unless the microphone input was muted (which makes absolutely no sense, because the laptop had no built-in microphone). Anyway, long story short, the only way I could fix it was to uninstall and reinstall the audio driver, which reset whatever logic circuit got tripped over by what I assume was a short in the jack caused by the connector being just a bit oversized.

So if the connector is more or less OK, and just got mucked up by a temporary short, that fix might do ya, but, based on the progression (one channel went 'out' first), I've likely just wasted several paragraphs of good prose, and the time of all who have read this, in a vain effort to provide alternate assistance. Good luck!
Other opinions and options are always welcome.

Closed Thread