Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Laptop Speakers Suddenly Stopped Working

This is a discussion on Laptop Speakers Suddenly Stopped Working within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I very recently (4 days ago) purchased the Dell XPS 13 9350, and everything was running more or

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Hi all,

I very recently (4 days ago) purchased the Dell XPS 13 9350, and everything was running more or less without a hitch until last night when the speakers suddenly stopped working. They had been working perfectly up until that point.

I went to turn on some music and there was no sound. Tried playing from other sources and still no sound. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the sound card, updating drivers, restarting the computer, everything I can think of, but still the problem persists. I really have no explanation for why this could have happened; I don't think I made any changes or updates to the computer in between the time that the speakers were working and when they stopped. I ran the hardware test from Dell's SupportAssist application about an hour before, but I can't see how that would have led to this issue.

I was on the phone with Dell tech support for about two hours last night but they couldn't do anything. I'm at a loss here, and starting to think it must be a hardware problem, but that's also hard to believe since the system is brand new and I've barely even moved it from my desk.

A few other details: I hear a very faint and constant clicking/popping noise coming from around the right speaker that I don't think was there before, and that stops when I plug in headphones. Also, sound is working perfectly through headphones. The DellAudio program is recognizing when I plug in and remove my headphones though, so I don't think it's an issue of the computer thinking that the phones are still plugged in.

I don't want to return the laptop as I've actually been really happy with it otherwise, but if it's a hardware issue I may have to. Any ideas? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Do you get sound when in Safe Mode?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Try going to Dell website and under support and drivers see if any new soundcard drivers and/or video card drivers and if yes do the video driver last after running the sound card drivers. Even if nothing newer download both anyway and try then in that order to install.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Masterchief, when I restart in Safe Mode all audio services are disabled. Is there any way to test audio in Safe Mode?

Rich, I will try that later tonight and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, hopefully I can figure this out!
Old 05-08-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rich, I tried re-installing the drivers from Dell's website, but no change. I installed the audio driver, rebooted, then installed the video driver, rebooted again. Is that the process you intended, or did you mean install both drivers (audio then video) and only reboot once?
Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I know you don't wish to do this, but I do recommend you contact Dell for this. It seems like a hardware issue that you hinted too. You also don't want to "fix" the issue only for it to come back outside of warranty.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Woodsman you did fine done together or one after restart makes no difference for what I was thinking. If still under warranty at this point calling Dell would be a good idea.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

So I already called Dell when the problem first arose, and they were not very helpful with troubleshooting. They suggested I send the system in for repair, but since the laptop is still within Amazon's return period, I'd much rather send it back for a replacement.

Any other ideas before I do that? I think I'll attempt a system reset as a last ditch effort. Does it matter in this case whether I do the "Reset this PC" option or perform a clean install of windows?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

A full replacement would be okay as well, but Amazon may say to go through Dell.

Both reset methods should be fine to test.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

When the item is new enough to send back, I would do iot because what is an issue now will add more later for sure. The problem is yoiu may get another one with same issue but cross that bridge if you have to. You should not be struggling so much with a brand new pc. We buy new to end such issues.

Closed Thread