Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Laptop Speakers stopped Working

This is a discussion on Laptop Speakers stopped Working within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. About a month and a half ago my laptop speakers stopped working. At first I just thought a re-boot would

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

About a month and a half ago my laptop speakers stopped working. At first I just thought a re-boot would fix it. But nothing. I can get audio to play through my Headset (USB), and my aux cable via ear buds I use for working out. I finally started to dig deeper recently in the deep inter-webs. I saw people posting unistall and reinstall your audio driver or disable and enable it, but to no avail did it work. It could just a be a simple hardware problem, and have nothing to do with my software.

Is there a way for me to run a hardware/software diagnostics on my laptop? I could not find it in my bios.

My audio driver:
Realtek High Definiton Audio
(need to work with Smart ManagerV3)
Version: 6.0.1.7111 (Most recent)

Downloaded from here: GIGABYTE - Notebook & Netbook - Notebook & Netbook - P series - P25W

Should I switch to another audio driver and try that?

It is not a huge deal that it doesn't work, but it is inconvenient having to always use headphone, especially when I try to show my buddies a video, or just listen to music. Plus having to get a new laptop would mean losing a lot of programs and games that would be a while to download and update drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

As the audio still works with your earbuds, the drivers are most likely not an issue. The speakers or circuitry driving the speakers is likely faulty.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
As the audio still works with your earbuds, the drivers are most likely not an issue. The speakers or circuitry driving the speakers is likely faulty.
What would be your best plan of action here? Is there a program I could use to run a hardware diagnostics test? I don't really want to get a new computer, or fix the circuitry, since that is a lot of work on a laptop versus your general PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Aside from opening it up and using test equipment, there is no way to test it.

The only solution would be to have it tested/repaired.

Closed Thread