Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

External speakers don't mute when using headset.

This is a discussion on External speakers don't mute when using headset. within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm using W10 on a new computer (Dell XPS 8900). I hate W10, but I'm stuck with it. At first,

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm using W10 on a new computer (Dell XPS 8900). I hate W10, but I'm stuck with it. At first, when I plugged in the headphones, it popped up a menu that asked me what I want to do. Of course, I always chose to use the headphones. Later, I found out how to keep that menu from popping up. After that, it did a pop up saying that a device was just plugged into the jack, also the opposite when I unplugged it (duh!).

Now the insipid pop ups stopped all by themselves, but it also decided (all by itself) to not mute the external speakers, which for me defeats the whole purpose of using a headset. I've searched high and low across the internet (including here), viewed dozens of responses to the same problem, but none of the solutions work for me.

All I want is for this thing to work as it did before when I had W7, that is to mute the external speakers when I plug in a headset and route the sound to the headset, and vice versa, w/o any idiotic menus or pop ups.

My searches for the solutions often say it's something to do with Realtek, but the instructions never work and/or they describe things I don't see. I've attached a capture of the playback devices and also the Nvidia Control Panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Playback devices capture.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	280978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nvidia Control Panel capture.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	280986  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The nVidia control panel is the wrong place to look. The nVidia audio chipset is the audio chipset on the video card used to supply audio over HDMI.

As noted in the Speakers/headphones description, the Realtek chipset drives the speakers/headphones. The Realtek control panel should have the option that you are referring to.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
The nVidia control panel is the wrong place to look. The nVidia audio chipset is the audio chipset on the video card used to supply audio over HDMI.

As noted in the Speakers/headphones description, the Realtek chipset drives the speakers/headphones. The Realtek control panel should have the option that you are referring to.
Ok, what exactly do I change? I've looked at all the tabs and properties in here, I don't see anything that will get me what I want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	281057  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Found it. Here's where to find it for others having the same problem. Right-click speaker icon in lower right of taskbar. Click on Playback Devices. Click on Communications tab. Select "Mute all other sounds" button. Click Ok.

I saw that before but what threw me was the wording "When Windows detects communications activity". I had no idea what that meant. "Communications activity" could mean a lot of things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture 2.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	281065  
Old 05-10-2016, 04:50 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I didn't add more information as it varies based on the software/driver version and source.

Here is the main option:

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	281161

I believe the option you noted above has to do with activity using a "communication" source such as a headphone (w/ mic), but I've not changed those settings. Mine is still set at default (ie: do nothing) and works normally (as you noted above).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	281169  

Closed Thread