Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Earforce DSS help

This is a discussion on Earforce DSS help within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just got the earforce dss for pc 7.1 virtual surround for games, i am using the ATH-AD900X headphones and a

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just got the earforce dss for pc 7.1 virtual surround for games, i am using the ATH-AD900X headphones and a dell xps 8700.
I'm using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm from earforce to pc and i can't get the 7.1 surround to work. I have a feeling my pc needs an optical input for this to work but it doesn't have one. Do i need another dedicated amp/sound card with optical to get 7.1 virtual working?
Is there software i am also supposed to get apart from windows sound device settings? Couldn't find any drivers for this thing.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

From the product description:

The optical digital input easily connects to a game console or media player for Dolby 7.1 channel surround sound and the analog input can also be used to upgrade analog stereo audio sources to Dolby Pro Logic IIx for virtual surround sound

So the analog input (ie: 3.5mm jack) is only Dolby Pro Logic II (ie: simulated surround).

So yes, you need a sound card with an optical output to get the true 7.1 signal into the device.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah that's what i'm after, simulated surround, but it's not working after setting it to surround through sound devices.
Am I missing something else? Sounds like i have what i need to simulate 7.1 or 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 04:08 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You won't get 7.1. Pro Logic II only supports up to 5.1. It's been around for years, and honestly, doesn't sound all that great. It does work, but there is a clear difference between a true 5.1 soundtrack and a stereo converted by Pro Logic II soundtrack. I haven't used Dolby since I sold my VHS tapes which only had stereo audio. Besides which, you aren't going to hear much of a difference between stereo and Pro Logic II with stereo headphones.

For best results, you want to input a true surround 5.1/7.1 signal into the device using the optical input and allow it to mix the channels into stereo. Taking a stereo signal, converting to fake surround, and then mixing it back to stereo seems kinda pointless.

I've not used one, so I don't know how well they work.

EDIT: You very likely have it configured correctly. You just aren't hearing what you were expecting/hoping to hear.

Closed Thread