Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Disappearing audio device???

This is a discussion on Disappearing audio device??? within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. All of a sudden (it was working about a month ago) I can't get sound on my Sony Vaio. WinDVD

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 AM   #1

All of a sudden (it was working about a month ago) I can't get sound on my Sony Vaio. WinDVD won't run DVDs because it says there is no audio device installed. Media Player 11 won't play CDs because it says there's a problem with my sound device (error code C00D11BA). When I go into Sounds on Control Panel, everything's greyed out and it says No Audio Device.

I've looked elsewhere online for ideas and as a result I've tried looking for Windows Updates, to see if an updated driver was needed, but it says there are none. I've tried running an AVG scan in safe mode to see if there's some kind of infection, but there's none. I've tried doing a system restore to about a month ago, when I didn't have this problem, but that has not worked either.

What should I do? Where do I get a new audio device from? Arrghhhhh!? Please help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #2

Idea

First thing go Start - Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and see if there are any conflicts (exclamation marks) showing, and if so what are they against ?
Assuming you do see some you will need to install a driver for that device and then it should work.

Assuming you don't see anything then I would go down to your audio listings and expand the box, then inside right click on each listing in turn and select uninstall, accept any warnings should you get them, repeat until they are all uninstalled, if one can't be then move on to the next.
Unfortunately you can't uninstall the main listing which would save time, so your forced to do them one at a time.

Now shut down your PC and physically remove the card then start up again, reinstall the latest software for it, if it's a laptop then don't bother taking out the card as it's probably to fiddly, just cancel the wizard the first time you reboot, when the latest software is installed shut down and put the card back if you removed it then boot up and let windows automatically install it, but don't let it go online to look for drivers that way it will use what you just installed, with any luck that should do it.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:25 AM   #3

Hi, thanks so much for replying, this is great.

I did the first thing you suggested and there were no exclamation marks that I could see.

However I got a bit confused by the instructions about what to do after that. I do have a laptop and it IS rather fiddly to take the sound card out so I'd rather not do that. But I don't understand about the reinstalling the software: where do I find the latest software for it? I got my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-N130G) with everything pre-loaded onto it, so I don't think I have any CDs kicking around with software on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 04:31 AM   #4

Cool

OK >>>Here<<< you will find your original install drivers (they didn't make it to easy to find lol), audio is at the top of the list, but as I said above skip removing the card as it's a laptop.

Now with device manager open expand the group Sound, video and game controllers by clicking on the + beside it, now go down that list and right click on top of every audio entry turn and select uninstall, then reboot.

When it reboots it will find the card and want to install it launching a wizard to do it (possibly), cancel that wizard and then install the driver from the link, now it will either automatically pick up the card when you install which is great, or else reboot after you've installed the driver and this time when the wizard launches allow it to automatically install it, but do not allow it to search online for the driver, it's already on the PC as you just put it there, see if that helps.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #5

hi 'Guy (is that your name?)
Thanks for finding that - I searched and searched and couldn't find it!

So I uninstalled the Realtek audio device. Fine.
Rebooted. Fine.
Then tried to download the Realtek device from the Sony site.
Error message. Not a valid Win32 application. Any way round this???

?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #6

Confused

No it's Alan, when I first started out online I was into mobile phones and I had an 8210 as well as being a guy, so I put them together and here I am all these years on (maybe 10 or 12 years now), I set the trend for doing this as if you look around at people who have done similar the years since I started is unbelievable lol.

Anyway, what OS are you using ?
That download is for Windows® XP MCE, NOT ordinary xp, sounds like we may need to find another download for you, download and run Everest (in my sig) and look for what it lists as your audio device then let us know, we can then try and find a more appropriate download for you.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #7

Hey Alan

No, I do have XP MCE.

But here's the weird thing: I just went on a website and clicked on a streaming video link and guess what: the sound came on as well!!!!

So I don't know how that happened, but it seems that somehow I am cured.

I suspect it was something to do with uninstalling Realtek, as you advised, but to the life of me I don't know how the Vaio managed to find it and install it itself again.

So thank you, thank you... you did well.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #8

Thumbs Up

Well I was going belt and braces at it so to speak lol, by simply uninstalling it and allowing it to reinstall itself next boot it would hopefully re-associate itself with the drivers already in the system, I just wanted to use the latest drivers available incase yours had become corrupted, but if it's working then it's all good lol.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #9

hey Alan

Oh ***. It's happened again. What could be causing this, do you think?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #10

Confused

lol well sometimes theres no real explaining of these things, unless maybe your that into PC's you can go through lines of code trying to identify what is causing it, and few people will do that even if they could for such an issue, but try to recall is there anything you do, or anywhere you visit just before this happens ?
I'm just wondering if a file cleaner or similar may be removing it, or something is nicking it such as another device or something when you plug it in maybe ?
Otherwise reinstall as you did above and try to be aware of if it goes again what was occurring just before hand to try and see if theres a pattern forming.
Closed Thread