Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Dedicated soundcard for DAW's sound production

This is a discussion on Dedicated soundcard for DAW's sound production within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm an amateur, aspiring composer. I know that a computer with a dedicated soundcard can significantly improve sound quality in

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I'm an amateur, aspiring composer. I know that a computer with a dedicated soundcard can significantly improve sound quality in the right circumstances, but I'm not entirely sure if buying one would help a DAW be better able to run VST's with lower latency.
I've recently bought East West's Complete Composer Collection and I'm running it using Sibelius, which outputs the midi it plays to REAPER using LoopBe30. I have 17 instances of the EWQL's Play vst inside Reaper for a song I'm working on, and latency is irritating me. If I use ASIO4ALL, I have to let it play my track for a few minutes so it "warms up" or whatever it needs to do so it doesn't glitch out and make the sound it produces seem as though it's being shoved through a woodchipper. After a while, it works fine after restarting the buffer size a few times by changing it (usually, every now and then it glitches out again), but I would like to be able to skip this step if I can. I like ASIO4ALL's low latency, but if I could buy a dedicated sound card and be able to use that for my DAW (and still be able to hear my system's sounds without changing Reaper to use Directsound, or something else, if possible), then I would happily invest into buying a dedicated soundcard for my PC.

Here's some of my PC's specs, if it helps:
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX RS 2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350 running at 4.334 MHz, 1.332V
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, overclocked a tad bit (but not much)

EDIT: I also have Behringer MS20 digital near-field 20-watt studio speakers and V-Moda Crossfade LP headphones, as well.

Would buying a dedicated sound card make my life easier in the long run?
If it would cost me more than $100, then I would likely think twice about getting one, as I've already spent so much getting myself started with my setup, but if the gains would be good enough, then I just might.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I've never used that type of setup and I'm not aware of anyone here with that type of setup. In these cases, I would suggest a dedicated audio forum.

Closed Thread