Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Creative Alchemy fails to detect my SBZ!

This is a discussion on Creative Alchemy fails to detect my SBZ! within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm running Windows 8.1 x64, I don't have ther latest sound blaster zx drivers because they require Windows 10.

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I'm running Windows 8.1 x64, I don't have ther latest sound blaster zx drivers because they require Windows 10.

Anyway, Alchemy fails to install because it says it can't find any supported hardware. Any ideas how to fix that?

Also, is Alchemy useful in windows 8.1?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

So you have the version that shipped with your card? If so, install the drivers and software from the driver disc.

Having said that, if you aren't sure what it's for, or if you need it, don't install it. No reason to bloat your system with unnecessary software. All you need for proper sound support are the actual drivers, not any of the additional software.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

But what is alchemy for? Is it worth me getting it to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Here's a screen shot of mine.....

This is what EAX is: EAX: (Environmental Audio Extensions) is an Application Programming Interface (API) developed by Creative Labs to create environmental audio in games and other audio applications.
Takes audio realism and performance to new heights to deliver total immersion music, movies and gaming.
EAX software and tools let you maximize your musical talent to bring out the best of your music creations.
Optimize and enhance music playback to suit your tastes and environment.
reference link: Creative Worldwide Support

For this to work you have to have the Creative hardware installed..ie sound card or in my case, it's built onto my mobo. Do you have this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	creative.PNG
Views:	817
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	269153
Old 01-15-2016, 04:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes I have a Soundblaster Zx, but when I try to install the program it says it can't find any supported hardware :(
Old 01-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

It's a software "solution" for the changes in how Windows processes audio. And it's for software (ie: games) that were released before Windows Vista (when the changes took affect) or with game engines designed before Windows Vista. Also, EAX only works for games with EAX support. This included many of the high end games of that era, but when Windows audio changed, most games dropped EAX and took advantage of the new Windows audio processing.

So unless you play a lot of old games, again, it's a wasted effort.

Link: Creative Worldwide Support

Old 07-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

I just installed Win10, and ALchemy refuses to run. It says no compatible hardware found. What the hell, it worked like charm on win7-64, with realtek hd audio.

Googling doesn't help for some reason. Seems that noone cares.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:54 AM   #8
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Has it been updated to support Win10?

Simply because something runs in one OS does not mean it will run in another.

You could try using compatibility mode.

And no, likely not. As noted above, it's for old game support. I don't know anyone that has it installed much less uses it.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

What is really weird - when I returned to Win7-64, it refused to work as well! I don't have a SB card, but before that I used Alchemy with my built-in Realtek with no problems. I even took the same version I've been using before my harddrive died.

Today I spent half a day trying to get it working. Appeared only a hacked version, which is pretty old as well, called Alchemy Universal, works. Okay, I can buy an SB, but it was fine... no - perfect, before.
Closed Thread