Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

constant squeal Audacity & sound recording

This is a discussion on constant squeal Audacity & sound recording within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have just tried to install a Digitec Audio Cassette Recorder which came with Audacity Software in a mini

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I have just tried to install a Digitec Audio Cassette Recorder which came with Audacity Software in a mini CD. It says that it's for Windows 7.

Although Microsoft said that it was recording, I couldn't get any sound.

Now, I've removed the Audacity but I'm getting a high pitched whine through the speakers, headphone, external speaker constantly from start up and :-

Under control panel - sound it is showing Playback speaker/HP default (showing activity in indicator bar)
Recording - -Internal Microphone default - (showing activity in indicator bar)

And Windows default- the "test" feature is unavailable.

I can still play music but the whine dominates.

It seems to be using a fair amount of memory (3.6 Gig).

There's nothing plugged in for it to record although if I start sound recorder it shows that it's picking up sound.

Computer - HP Elitebook 8460w. I7, 8 gig Ram Win 7.

Any help?

Thanks

Graeme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi Graeme

Supplied CDs often have outdated software on them, you can get the latest version of Audacity from here - Link - Sadly, setting up Audacity is either a piece of cake or a pain in the socks, you can find some very helpful stuff here, to get you started - Link.

Re: Howling sounds, try muting or reducing the mic. volume. Right-click the speaker-icon (System-Tray) and select recording devices, select Microphone on the dialogue-box then click the 'Properties' button. On the next box select the 'Levels' tab and adjust the mic. from there.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 02-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks WereBro. I downloaded from the net but that didn't fix it. Turn up volume & noise still there.

I did a System Restore & presto, things back to normal. I'll just keep away from audacity.

so FIXED. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Audacity is a very excellent tool for audio-processing, it might be worth trying it again now your system's working - I've been using it for years without hassle, once I got the inputs/outputs sussed out

Glad you got the squeals sorted though and thanks for posting back with your cure

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Closed Thread