Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Combo Audio Jack VS. External Microphone

This is a discussion on Combo Audio Jack VS. External Microphone within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On my laptop (Asus N550JV and windows10), there is combo port for both headphones and microphone. Now the problem is

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

On my laptop (Asus N550JV and windows10), there is combo port for both headphones and microphone. Now the problem is that when I try to connect an external mic, the "Realtek HD Audio Manger" asks for the type of the input and I can only choose between "Headphone" and "Speaker Out" and whichever I choose, the mic acts like a headphone actually and I can hear the sounds of the computer coming out it (which I didn't know microphones can do!!!).
I even bought a splitter to solve this problem, but the problem persists.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

Hi there. This is a fairly easy one to fix. The combo port seems to be replacing the older 2 port option. This port has 4 contacts, one ground/earth, 2 for headphones, one for mic.

If you stick a normal 2 contact mic or 3 contact headphone jack in it, there is always the chance the contacts don't match up properly so you experience the phenomenon you have encountered. The easiest solution is to use a splitter like the one here. This separates the contacts properly so you can use a dedicated mic or headphone externally without any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mic headphone splitter7.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	287289  

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sound Help Please!
Ok, so I play World of Warcraft. I want to hear gamesound from my speakers, but I want to also have my headset on; and hear youtube videos, skype ect from my headset. For some reason when I try and do this and I plug both of them in to my PC, neither of them work. Yet, alone they both work...
Greenybwa Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 2 06-23-2013 02:32 AM
Microphone Audio Issue (Help Needed!)
Hello, I am currently using a Behringer C-1 microphone, and the mic works great with no problems except for one thing... The audio sounds really strange. The only thing that I can tell that makes the audio on this mic differ to say a normal microphone is that the left and right audio ...
ScopeTCR Other Hardware Support 1 10-29-2012 03:49 PM
Empire:total war HELP
Dear whoever i have just downloaded both napoleon total war and total war. when i play the games i go into gamplay all of is stretchy and skippy. Empire: Total War System Requirements Lab Analysis Congratulations, your computer passes the minimum specification required to run this...
jabojoshua PC Gaming Support 12 05-28-2012 06:00 PM
[SOLVED] Audio in videos going out of synch, Vista service pack 2
Hi everyone! This is my first post here so i do apologise if this is in the wrong place. I have a problem that's been driving me crazy for nearly 12 months now, the audio in any video i watch on any website or player in Firefox will begin to lag and go out of synch, this can be corrected by...
TheElfishGene Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 20 02-13-2012 09:21 AM
Windows 7 freezes at startup (HiJack This Log)
Out of the blue my Windows 7 x64 laptop started having problems. Every time I boot it will get to the desktop and LOOK fine, but if I try to open anything it is completely unresponsive. Eventually it will notify me that Windows is not responding and offer to restart or wait. If I restart the...
slhaas Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 3 08-01-2011 12:29 PM