Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Challenge! 'Selective' Sound Problem

This is a discussion on Challenge! 'Selective' Sound Problem within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok. Ok. Where to begin? First off, I am NOT tech-savy. I am a complete noob. My dad built my

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #1

Ok. Ok. Where to begin?

First off, I am NOT tech-savy. I am a complete noob. My dad built my computer and recently upgraded it. And that's where the problem began...

My computer has a 'selective' sound problem. To better explain the situation, I better map it out:

'Areas' where sound doesn't play:
-I don't hear any Window XP OS sounds.
-Youtube vids (the videos work, but the sounds don't play)
-any media that uses Adobe Flash Player doesn't play sound.
-the latest version of itunes won't run now, because it has detected a problem with my "audio configurations."

Areas where sound DOES play
-the previous version of iTunes.
-media files (ex: .avi, .mp3, .mkv, etc.)
-PC games

As far as I can gather, my computer's specs now are:
-Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
-2.79 GHz, 1.00GB RAM
-P4M800PRO-M Motherboard
-Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA(R) Audio Controller (I'm assuming this is the audio card).

Now, all my volume controls are turned up to the max, and nothing is mute. I went to the Realtek website and downloaded/installed their latest audio codec. But the selective sound problem still remains.

So please help me. This is an itch I can't scratch. This is driving me crazy.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Hi,i will help as best i can

start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager

can you look in there and see if you have any yellow exclamation marks

download the following 2 drivers from the following link and save them to a file for easy access:

1/...VIA service pack (4 in 1)
2/...RealTek Codec Sound on board driver

https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Dow...nuID=6&LanID=9

let me know about the exclamation marks and we will go from there
Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #3

DeathHawk, thanks for helping me out on this.

I have checked the Device Manager, and I don't see any yellow exclamation marks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #4

Hi,
Do you get any error messages? Have you installed SP2?

Nicholas
Old 04-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

download both the files i mentioned and save them to a chosen file

you will probably have to unzip them once downloaded Firstly, just the audio driver: place pointer over the file:

right click on where it says "extract here" and click and file will be downloaded to that location

In device manager, scroll down to the sound,video and game controllers section and click open

uninstall the realtek ac'97 driver

go back to the audio file you downloaded and run it to install

edit: did you go into control panel>sounds and audio devices>sounds and audio tabs? check in there that the sounds are actually turned on
Old 04-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #6

Nicholas, the only error message I get is trying to run the latest version of iTunes (the previous version worked just fine), and SP2 is installed.

DeathHawk, I tried your suggestion. But after uninstalling Realtek and installing it again, I get a warning about how the realtek program didn't pass Microsoft certification. But I took a chance anyways.

But I hear no changes at all. The volume functions are all up and unmute. It's a selective sound problem; I don't hear any Window OS prompt sounds; but my .mp3 files work just fine.

It's mind-boggling!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM   #7

There is an issue with Realtek and one of Microsoft's updates. I'm not sure this applies to your problem, but try reading this article.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

"did you go into control panel>sounds and audio devices>sounds and audio tabs? check in there that the sounds are actually turned on"

so in these locations-it does not say "no sounds" in the "sound scheme" bar?

sorry to repeat myself but just making sure as that is where the xp sounds are turned on and off
Old 04-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #9

Everything is on.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

just found this other version-install as in previous post

good luck-you want the top one

https://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC

this is your latest chipset-it has bugs reported which is why you are most likely having problems-have a look:

https://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...=36&CatID=3170

if you read the info,there are reports of problems with audi and video which are being looked into-it recommends you using Hyperion Pro 5.10A version-here is the link below-download and run this and then reinstall the ac'97 again

https://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...D=1&CatID=1070
Old 04-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #11

I've installed both the Hyperion Pro 5.10A and the Realtek Audio codec...and nothing has changed. Being the tech noob that I am, is it possible for me to ditch Realtek?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

hmmmmm...

try "add hardware" again to see what happens

as we have been to and fro-lets try it once more as i would suspect that this is your problem according to the chipset info about reported audio problems....

remove both the chipset and ac'97 again....reboot your pc and then install the chipset....reboot ....then install the ac'97 again...then try "add hardware", this may help find some system drivers etc

im saying reboot twice because it may help your pc sort out any install probs-just a try..

good luck
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #13

I'm sorry, in the Add or Remove Programs list, which one is the "chipset?"

Oh, and I solved the iTunes problem (I just uninstalled Quicktime and reinstalled it as a standalone).
Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

you will find it here

start>control panel>system>hardware>device manager

should be under display adaptors

yellow exclamation marks?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #15

No yellow exclamation markss, sorry. The Display adapters only show a 'NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra.' If it's alright with you, I'm going to call it a day and get out of the house; I've been banging my head over this for hours. I'll post back later to tell you if the recommendations work. Later.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

lol-i dont blame you-i have had many hours of frustration with my pc-catch you soon
Old 04-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
Registered Member

Lets give this another shot...

Remove the AC'97 driver (again)

According to the VIA site-the best way to uninstall your via chip set is-i quote...

"You can remove the chipset drivers by running the installer again and choosing "uninstall" at the prompt. Reboot"

Reinstall the Hyperion Pro 5.10A version chipset.reboot

reinstall the AC'97

post back when you have finished banging your head against the wall..lol
Old 04-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #18

IT WORKED!!!!

I don't know how, but it worked.

Deathhawk, thank you.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

Fantastic-well done-an idea would be to keep those 2 downloads in a driver file in case of future need..
Closed Thread