Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Can't install audio driver

This is a discussion on Can't install audio driver within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have and e-machines T5010,SNID-083000054-23 The audio was working and I downloaded some updates from Microsoft and after the updates

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have and e-machines T5010,SNID-083000054-23

The audio was working and I downloaded some updates from Microsoft and after the updates installed the audio doesn't work. I uninstalled the drive and re-installed. I went to the e-machines site and downloaded the driver. When I clicked download a message appeared saying it was downloading from the Acer site. It shows up in device manager but says device can't start and there is no enable button.

The driver is Reltec high definition audio drive 6.1.7601.17514. Could someone help me get the audio working again. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Did you install the ones downloaded from Acer?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Did you install the ones downloaded from Acer?
Yes, I did. When I first tried to install the driver I received a message that said the driver didn't install and then I received a message to re-install driver with recommended setting, which I did. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
The driver is Reltec high definition audio drive 6.1.7601.17514. Could someone help me get the audio working again. Thanks.
Did you manually download and install updates from Microsoft? If one of those updates was audio drivers (looks like it), then you should restore your system to a date before the updates. Alternatively, you can uninstall the bad driver quoted above and only install the one downloaded from emachines/acer (Realtek 5.10.0.5034). There may be an uninstall entry in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. Use it to uninstall the Realtek drivers. If there's no such entry, you'll have to manually uninstall the driver from Device Manager. Right-click the audio device and select uninstall. If a dialog asks whether to delete the driver from the system, select that option and finish the uninstall then reboot. Your audio device should then be reported as missing drivers, so you should be able to install the correct drivers downloaded from emachines/acer.

Forcefully installing newer version device drivers is not a wise thing to do and as you can see they can easily break your device's functionality. Stick to the latest available drivers from your system's official support website, even if it appears as though some other source has newer drivers. Windows/Microsoft Update is not the best place to get device drivers from. I see no reason for updating your drivers if your devices are working as they should with the currently installed drivers.
Closed Thread