Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Can't get 5.1 audio to work

This is a discussion on Can't get 5.1 audio to work within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I thought about buying a specialized audio card, but I found a lot of people saying that these days they

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

I thought about buying a specialized audio card, but I found a lot of people saying that these days they are kind of a waste of money because the HDMI audio on most video cards is as good or better. I decided to get an HDMI extractor to split off a toshlink line for going into my JVC TH-G31 but it doesn't work. Even in the testing screen on audio properties if I click the center speaker or a rear speaker nothing happens. I even tried all of the surround options on my receiver. (has bypass, movie, music, matrix)

Am I going to have to buy an old audigy or maybe a higher quality splitter? The one I got was only $12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

How will it be used? (ie: source of audio)

If the Receiver doesn't have HDMI input, then you are best served getting a sound card with an equivalent output to match whatever input types the Receiver supports.

This isn't a matter of one type of output being "better" than another, it's a matter of matching the output to the input.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
How will it be used? (ie: source of audio)

If the Receiver doesn't have HDMI input, then you are best served getting a sound card with an equivalent output to match whatever input types the Receiver supports.

This isn't a matter of one type of output being "better" than another, it's a matter of matching the output to the input.
I've already matched up the output. I had optical to optical from the hdmi extractor device. I ended up selling that and getting a pci-e soundcard that has optical out, but unfortunately I only have 1 16x slot for this in which I have my video card so I am waiting on a pci-e 1x to 16x adapter/riser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

It doesn't need to be a 16x slot card. It can be a x1 slot, a PCI slot, or even USB.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
Game Team Tech

https://uk.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

something like this to get good sound
Old 11-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

I got a Xonar D1 by Asus a bit older card but it was originally $200 and everybody was very happy with them so I got a USD one for $35. Unfortunately it is PCI so I'm waiting on a PCI to PCI-E Adapter to arrive.

Cheaper than a new XFI USB card and should be even higher quality too.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

Used* not USD
Closed Thread