Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Audio recording, both direct and microphone, fades out and becomes distorted

This is a discussion on Audio recording, both direct and microphone, fades out and becomes distorted within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello; I am posting here after quite a few days of no response from /r/techsupport or /r/computers. Hpefully you guys

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello;

I am posting here after quite a few days of no response from /r/techsupport or /r/computers. Hpefully you guys can help or refer me to somewhere that can. Also, I do not actually have a soundcard, but since this problem is audio/recording related and not a question about Win7 itself, I figured I'd post here.

So I am a big cello geek, and I record myself playing the parts of say a cello quartet or an arrangement of a popular pop piece and then layer them in Audacity or Mixcraft or whatever to make the full piece. I've been doing this for maybe a year or a year and a half now, and I've never had any problems. However, previously I've been doing it on mobile, or an external recording device, as I don't have much room in my room to play cello. Well, I moved my bed so now I have room to record.

I have a normal acoustic cello and I recently bought an electric cello. This electric cello, for those of you that don't know, has an audio out that can be plugged into either an amp or a microphone jack to record directly to the computer. So, the other day I had my electric cello plugged in and I was testing out a part to see how it would sound with the electric cello.
Here's the problem; when I play either a sustained note (that goes on for longer than, say, 2 or 3 seconds) or a repeated note (say, a repeated D staccato eighth-note passage that goes on for a bar), the sound begins to fade and becomes seriously distorted. It actually sounds really creepy. Since this is difficult to describe, I've included a recording of what happens:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkc8cxnxtq...weird.wav?dl=0

The first sound you hear is of me, playing a sustained D with vibrato. The second sound is the same D, but with no vibrato. The last sound is a repeated D. Note this is coming from my microphone with my acoustic cello; the tailgut on my electric cello is broken, need to get a new one.

Now, originally I thought this was just a problem with my electric cello, like the pickups were messed up or something. But the next day I went to record with my normal cello and the microphone that is attached to my Turtle Beach X12's. The same thing happened.

I also tried this in multiple different audio recording programs; namely Audacity and Mixcraft. No luck. My main computer specs are as follows, if they help anybody:

*CPU: AMD FX 8320 *Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 *No sound card *Video: GIGABYTE GTX 660 Oh, and I'm using Windows 7. I can't think of anything else that would be useful.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on? I thought it might be interference so I unplugged everything else, but that didn't help; I also tried the main motherboard inputs rather than front panel jacks, those didn't help either. I'd really like to get back to recording. Thanks for all your help!
-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread