Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

audio feedback when plugged into hi fi

This is a discussion on audio feedback when plugged into hi fi within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. when my G505 is plugged into the hi fi I can hear background noise. I have upgraded to driver from

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Thumbs Down

when my G505 is plugged into the hi fi I can hear background noise. I have upgraded to driver from Lenove and there is still background noise.

When I plug into the power socket all sound stops and I hear pure white noise. I purchased a new power cable but this did not solve the problem.

Sometimes, when I start up and plug it all together with the power cable the audio works perfectly so I am very confiused and annoyed.

Background noise is not something I expect and total white noise is totally unacceptable.

I think it is the smart audio socket failing to cope!
I wish I had never bought a lenovo G505
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Test with a different set of headphones or computer speakers.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi richardharbord and welcome to TSF

Also, check the audio mixer-panel's inputs and make sure all unused channels are muted. What channels that are used should be set to approx 75% of max volume, then increase the master volume to compensate (85% max).

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yes the laptop works without feedback noise with my headphones but I recieve feedback and white noise when I plug it into my expensive hi fi and hi fi cable, but only when it is plugged into the power cable. There is often an considerable drop in power outputtoo when the power cable is removed. The problme is all my other laptops work properly with this hi fi and this cable so it must be a problem with the laptop. I was not planning on purchasing a new hi fi or cable just because I unfortunately bought a Lenovo G505s.

What is even more annoying is that I thought the problem was that the cable could completely penentrate the socket so I cut the plastic away around the socket, but this did nothing to help, which was really annoying. So I have mutilated my laptop and still cannot use the laptop with my cable and hi fi like I used my old Lenovo G550!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have also tried a different cheaper cable with my hi fi but the results were the same, white noise and feedback.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I would seem that, as the noise only shows when the laptop is mains-powered, it's either the 'power-brick' or the mains-socket is noisy - As other laptops are OK, it would appear the power-brick itself is the source.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

what is a power brick
Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Laptops have a power cord (AC plug on one end and a barrel DC connector on the other end) which has a large AC to DC converter in the middle of the cable. The large converter in the middle of the cable is commonly referred to as the "power brick".

Old 10-31-2014, 04:22 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have purchased another power cable (30 pounds) and tried this one but the results where the same. So, the problem was not with the power cable. Any other suggestions?

As I said, twice the system worked, but I cannot find out how this happened or repeat the effect. I have tried updating the sound device driver (Dolby) but this has had no effect on playback. Without the charger plugged in the sound is either OK or has a quiet background hum, which is very annoying. With the power cable plugged in there is normally a loud feedback noise, which is totally unacceptable.

I think it is to do with the microphone/audio output combo socket, either the software or the hardware. What is to be gone?

Also, thank you for your continued help with this.

Kind regards

Richard Harbord
Old 10-31-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The only other thing I can think of is the audio-out socket, either faulty soldering or just a 'bad' socket - Unfortunately, cutting the plastic-surround might have invalidated the warranty, but it might be worth contacting Lenovo explaining the problem and see if they can still repair it, if the warranty is still valid.

Alternatively, a local repair-shop might be able to replace the socket, but how much they'd charge is anyone's guess.

Closed Thread