Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Sound Cards

User Tag List

Asus Xonar D2X not registering all sound

This is a discussion on Asus Xonar D2X not registering all sound within the Sound Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've had as Asus Xonar DG for a while, until my friend gave me an Asus Xonar D2X. But

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I've had as Asus Xonar DG for a while, until my friend gave me an Asus Xonar D2X. But I've come across a slight problem when I tried to use streaming software (OBS). The software would not recognise my device as default. I went into my sound settings and noticed it was set as default. This baffled me for a while.

I then noticed that although it is set to default, it doesn't recognise "most" sound as coming through, even though I can hear sound through my headphones, and the drivers show sound coming through.

For example, the windows sound will show sound from Firefox and Teamspeak. But no sound will be shown through Spotify or games, even if I mute Spotify or my games in the mixer, the sound still comes out my headset.

The images below show what I am talking about, whilst music is currently playing.
The bars next to the "Speakers" default devine in the windows sound settings don't light up green etc to show sound is playing, whereas they do in the Audio Centre.

imgur: the simple image sharer

(Headphones plugged into the green socket)

Has anyone else has this problem or knows anything that I can try that may help?
I would really like to continue to stream!

Thank you
Regards,

Recjx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

What type of headphones and where are they connected?

The default audio device is set to speakers, which would be the analog output(s) (ie: green audio port, and other ports for surround audio).

Also, I can't recall offhand, and I can't find any references at the moment, but there is some convoluted driver install process required for the Asus drivers to install properly.

It's been awhile since I had to reinstall, but the process is stupid. Something like deleting the card in Device Manager, rebooting, cancelling the auto install, manually running the latest driver install, which I then believe will say failed or appear to hang, and then reboot. At which point the install will complete and it will work. (that's off the top of my head...my current install is over 2 years old, so it may not be entirely accurate).

Old 10-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm using the Razer Carcharias headset plugged into the green socket.
I also use my Harman/Kardon Soundsticks and get the same issue.

I did uninstall all drivers and reinstall them just the standard way, it worked briefly then randomly stopped. I've currently got a stream loaded in Mozilla and it's registering the sound from it, but sound from Spotify or games etc just isn't registered through windows, though I can hear it through speakers/headset. Someone on the Asus forums mentioned that SPDIF/PCM mode stops windows processing any sound. But I've turned them off, played about with every setting I can find but still can't manage to solve the issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Moderator - Hardware

My System

The green port would indicate you are using analog audio. I assume the rear port is being used?

The default audio device in the Windows audio config should be set to speakers and the output should be set to stereo. Which appears accurate based on the screenshots above. But check the Windows configuration anyway and perform a speaker test.

Aside from that, verify the advanced volume controls and ensure nothing is muted/turned down.

Having said all of that, if the speaker test works (run the Windows test and the Asus panel test), then the issue is with Windows and not necessarily the Asus hardware/drivers. Windows controls which audio goes where, not the audio drivers.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am using the rear green port on the sound card.
The default audio device is set to Speakers, ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Device. The only other Speakers showing in the Playback settings is the ASUS Xonar D2X Converter.

When I press the test, it recognises the sound, and I can hear it. But when I, for example play sound through Spotify, I can hear it but the Speakers device doesn't seem to recognize that it's playing, though I can hear it perfectly fine.

Nothing is muted, nothing is turned down, they're all at the same volume and all listed under the Speakers ASUS Xonar D2X Audio Device in the Volume Mixer.

Should I just cut my loses and switch back to the ASUS Xonar DG? I only switched because I assumed it would be better, as it cost more money (naive I know). A friend just gave it to me for free so I thought why not.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by recjx View Post
When I press the test, it recognises the sound, and I can hear it. But when I, for example play sound through Spotify, I can hear it but the Speakers device doesn't seem to recognize that it's playing, though I can hear it perfectly fine.
Sounds like a software glitch.

If Spotify is playing audio, and you can hear audio, it would appear to be working.

Closed Thread