Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

What is Ping?

This is a discussion on What is Ping? within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys! When i play online games I always get kicked out from servers, for high ping!! what is this

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi guys! When i play online games I always get kicked out from servers, for high ping!! what is this ping? How can I play without getting kicked for this high ping??

Please help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_(networking_utility)

You can see what your Ping is here: Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test
Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

If you don't want to read a Wiki article, I will try to explain it for you like how I was explained it.

Think of your computer playing a game of 'Ping-Pong' with the game server or whatever your connecting to. Think of the ball as a bunch of 'packets of information' going back and fourth between your computer and the server. With low ping you can imagine the ball travelling really fast, but if the ping is really high then imagine it travelling really slow. Basically, ping calculates how long it is taking the information to transfer between your computer and the server, and a variety of things can affect how efficient the speed it travel's at is. Two examples would be weather and lots of bandwidth being taken up in your area or home. So playing games in a snow storm or when you are downloading is not ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

That means, low ping is ideal for playing games online? If so, how can make it low ping, I always get kicked out for high ping!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Contact your ISP.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search