Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Weird frames per second issue

This is a discussion on Weird frames per second issue within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello i have a issue with x2 games one is world of warcraft and the other is Rift. on both

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hello i have a issue with x2 games one is world of warcraft and the other is Rift. on both of them i have my settings on lowest and i get fps spikes one second it will be at 100 fps then down to 30 fps then up to 150 fps then down to 18 fps. it happens on both these games and i know it's not server lag as i'm getting in the 200's ping. on all of my other games i have it on Max settings and it's smooth as can be.

Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 ( 3.2 GHz )
Ram 4 gig
Video card Nvidia Gforce GTS 250 1gb GDDR3 dedicated video memory
O/S Windows 7 Pro

so yeh was just wondering if anyone would be able to help out thx :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Hi welcome to TSF
Please post specs of PSU: Make/Model/Wattage. Also what are your CPU and GPU temps. CPU temps can be displayed by CoreTemp or HWMonitor and Graphics Card Temp can be displayed by GPU-Z.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

PSU = Apower P4-A1200 wattage = 1200 max
CPU temp atm is at 49 degrees celsius
GPU temp atm is at 32 degrees celsius
no game was playing when i took them figures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Your CPU temp is too high for an IDLE temp. You will need to redo the thermal paste by first removing the old paste with 90% rubbing alcohol and then applying new thermal paste on the CPU and re-check temps. That is most definitely the reason why I think your game stutters now and then. Your GPU temp is ok.

Has this only happened lately? Have you moved the PC or upgraded it at any stage prior to this problem? I'm thinking maybe you accidentally bumped the Heatsink and it came a little loose, that would render the current thermal paste useless.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

yeh with only those two games. my friend did accidently knock over my PC twice so maybe that caused it. however it is still Odd that only x2 games are affected. all my other games run smooth and fine at max settings and required higher settings then the two games that have the fps issues.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaneirth View Post
yeh with only those two games. my friend did accidently knock over my PC twice so maybe that caused it. however it is still Odd that only x2 games are affected. all my other games run smooth and fine at max settings and required higher settings then the two games that have the fps issues.
The games that require higher settings are most probably more GPU intensive than the other two you're experiencing problems with. Thanks for letting me know about the PC being knocked over, that definitely could've broken the seal of the thermal paste between the CPU and Heatsink. Best is to reapply it.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

thank you so much for your help i'll get right on it :D
Closed Thread