Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Trouble with Minecraft server hosting security?

This is a discussion on Trouble with Minecraft server hosting security? within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello there guys! I have recently been bugging my dad to let me run my own server hosted by me.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello there guys! I have recently been bugging my dad to let me run my own server hosted by me. He said that until he finds out for a fact that our modem/router safe and free from other people hacking in he is fine with that. The only problem is is that people could hack in. Is there any way to keep our modem/router safe? Thanks in Advance!! (Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread?!?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

You'll never be truly save when hosting a server on your own. People can always find a way to hack it.

The best option would be to make sure you router's firewall is always on and so is the Server firewall. Also lock the server so only people on the whitelist can enter. Don't go giving the world your IP address.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

But what if I want anyone to join my server?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Then you run the risk of people getting your IP Address and hacking. The odds are very low but it can happen.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow Computer - Cannot find a problem.
Hey guys, My computer has been running slow for quite a while now, and I can't find a reason at all. I cleaned the inside of my tower and went through most of the cleaning steps you all recommend in that post except for the one step that required me to have a Xp Sp3 startup disk. Like I said I...
cschluter Resolved HJT Threads 13 04-16-2012 03:21 AM
Suspected Malware In Neighbors Computer
I originally went to fix his printer but I think that is being affected by malware. The things I think are fishy is whitesmoke toolbar and something called yontoo. I ran his antivirus and cleaned up what it found. Windows install CD is a no for now, I have asked him if he has it and but he is...
kmssd Resolved HJT Threads 20 01-03-2012 07:44 PM
System Restore Virus Not removed completely
I recently got a System Restore Virus and was able to remove a lot of it using Malwarebytes. My scan is now clean although my TrendMicro Software is picking up several viruses/trojans that it cannot remove and google searches are redirected. I had difficulty downloading and running dds (it runs...
tdoby724 Resolved HJT Threads 16 11-07-2011 02:04 PM
Windows XP Fix
I have got this intruder on my computer. I cannot access the internet or anything else. I was going to do a system restore, but I cannot get to it. I do have another computer with Vista, but I need the XP computer for work. Please help!
mishamisha Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 26 07-14-2011 06:36 PM
Some kind of redirect on computer (Monster Marketplace)
I don't know how this happened, but something has gotten into my computer that constantly redirects anything I click on. If I enter a search in the box, that does OK, but whenever I click on anything, there's a high likelihood that what I've clicked on won't come up - quite often, Monster...
Calgirl Resolved HJT Threads 198 05-23-2011 06:01 AM