Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Terrible ping on certain time of days/day

This is a discussion on Terrible ping on certain time of days/day within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So im using DSL and im on the highest plan available which is 3mb. Yes I know its bad but

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

So im using DSL and im on the highest plan available which is 3mb. Yes I know its bad but what I dont understand is why my ping is affected so greatly by this. I've been on lower plans and still had around 100 ping. But any time of the day from 11:00 AM -11:00 PM I cannot get ping lower than about 300. Now when its from around 12:00 AM - 10:00 AM I have around 50-80 ping. You may think its the people using bandwidth in my household but it isnt, a whole week every one in my house was gone, just me, and just my pc on. Still my internet ping went by those time rations above no difference. This means that im guessing its other users using my same ISP. Is there anything I can do like complain to my ISP saying listen, you promise 3mb but at certain times of the day i cant even buffer a youtube video in 144P.

Thanks, Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

The minimum for a stable internet connection in today's world is 5mbs. You can contact your ISP and ask why this is happening, but its out of your control.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
The minimum for a stable internet connection in today's world is 5mbs. You can contact your ISP and ask why this is happening, but its out of your control.
Can't say I agree with that my friend as I have an up-to-4MBps connection and game fine. It's more about latency and the amount of people sharing the connection which have an effect on online gaming (the second one isn't so much of an issue on high-speed connections however so higher speeds are preferable in gaming).

I do have some experience similar to the issue in hand which was back when my house shared it's Internet with a number of others (before they switched me from a BT rented line to a dedicated, ISP line). The issue arrises because of other users tend to use the Internet during those times and sleep during the times when you get good speeds.

The only way to fix this is to contact your ISP and see if they can switch you to a dedicated line as opposed to a connection-shared one. However, I doubt it will get you anywhere as you are on a cheaper package and that might be one of the reasons it is so cheap (we have a more expensive package which is why our ISP eventually switched us over).

With regards to latency, you should make sure you use a wired connection or at least are close to the router if using a wireless network connection. It might also be a good idea to run a "PingTest.net" check and post it here (do one both in the daytime and in the nighttime for comparison).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's how it goes with us slower-Internet users :/

Regards,
- Redeye -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Can't say I agree with that my friend as I have an up-to-4MBps connection and game fine. It's more about latency and the amount of people sharing the connection which have an effect on online gaming (the second one isn't so much of an issue on high-speed connections however so higher speeds are preferable in gaming).
Most games now require a minimum of 5mbs for internet speed.
Closed Thread