Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Speed issues with my wireless router

This is a discussion on Speed issues with my wireless router within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have two laptops: a Dell Inspiron E1405 and a Dell Vostro 1310, with Windows XP and Windows 7

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
Registered Member

Location: India, Asia, The Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Hi,

I have two laptops: a Dell Inspiron E1405 and a Dell Vostro 1310, with Windows XP and Windows 7 respectively. I use both for gaming.
Recently I set up a wireless LAN network(no internet) between the laptops using a Trendnet TEW-652BRP router. It works fine - me and my brother can play LAN Battle for Middle Earth II: Rise of the Witch-king perfectly. But there is one little thing - the game is really slow on both laptops. Now and then, the laptops freeze so much that the game animations look like slideshows! My firewall is off and I don't connect to the internet while gaming.
Could someone help? This game is one of my favorites and I really want to fix it.
BTW yes, I do have legal copies of the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

What network speeds are you normally able to achieve?

Also, have you considered that this could be a problem related to the hardware of the laptops? It is possible that a component such as the CPU or video card might not be able to keep up with the LAN speed.

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

According to the manufacturer the minimum speed I should be getting on the router is 54 MB/s, but I've seen it shoot up to 100 MB/s at times.
I don't know if it is to do with the hardware.......the game runs fine on the computers(both) during non-LAN play. How do I check if the LAN speeds exceed the hardware capacities of the laptops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Those speeds should be plenty sufficient for LAN play. Have you tried hardwiring the computers to the router to see if that makes a difference?

If you can post the specs for your CPU, video card, and the amount of RAM on the computers, that may help in determining whether the hardware installed can effectively run these games in LAN play.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

Here are my system specs:

DELL INSPIRON E1405
RAM: 1 GB
processor: 1.66 GHz

DELL VOSTRO 1310
RAM: 3 GB
processor: 2.5 GHz

Both have integrated graphics chipsets.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Unfortunately, I'm more convinced now that the issue is indeed with the computers. Integrated graphics are inferior to standalone video cards when it comes to gaming. One reason is that video cards integrated on the motherboard share some of the system memory instead of having their own supply of memory.
Also, the processor speed for the Windows XP computer barely meets the minimum requirements.

If you've checked to make sure the video card drivers are up to date on both computers, and that no other unnecessary programs are running in the background, I'm not sure there is much else you can do with your current setup.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hmm...
Is there any way by which I can improve my computers for the purpose I mentioned(LAN)? Because the chances of my getting a new laptop are minute.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Do you have microfilters installed at all phone points in the house or just the ones that are being used by the computers?

These are the instructions for my ISP, which should be similar to yours:
Quote:
Check your Microfilters

Microfilters are needed for Sky Broadband Unlimited, Lite and Connect customers. Sky Fibre Unlimited customers will have a new master socket installed by the Openreach engineer which means you won’t need microfilters.

This is what a microfilter looks like. They've got two entry ports on them.
One for the grey cable that came with your Sky router and the other for your house phone to plug into.

Although only small, Microfilters have a huge part to play in the correct set up of broadband within the home. They stop interference between your broadband signals and signals from other items that use your phone line, such as Sky boxes, telephones, faxes and games consoles. Connecting one of them to every telephone socket in the house that you use will help to ensure that your broadband runs as fast as possible.

Microfilters are small white boxes with a phone lead or connector on them. We supply them with your Sky Broadband router. It's really important that a Microfilter is the first thing plugged into each telephone socket. No other connectors, splitters or devices should be directly connected to a telephone socket. Every one should be connected via a Microfilter.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 05-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
Do you have microfilters installed at all phone points in the house or just the ones that are being used by the computers?

These are the instructions for my ISP, which should be similar to yours:
I use a BSNL WLL modem for my internet. It's dialup. It consists of a phone wire(from the modem to the phone), a modem, an antenna, and a USB cable from the modem to the computer(for internet connection). Thus, I don't have microfilters at all.
I do not use the internet for LAN, by the way...
Closed Thread