Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Very Slow Game Client Downloads

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Very Slow Game Client Downloads within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I have been getting excruciatingly slow downloads to my PC, but only on game clients (Origin, Steam, SWTOR

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I have been getting excruciatingly slow downloads to my PC, but only on game clients (Origin, Steam, SWTOR updater, etc.) and I'm having a hard time finding a solution. Torrent speeds seem okay, and the other computers on my router are downloading just fine. I have already tried implementing DMZ to this system, as well as disabling all firewalls/internet security (not permanently, of course), yet my download seems capped at 100 KB/s. For contrast, I had downloaded a 2 GB game to my Xbox the other day and it was done in about 20 min (I believe it ran close to 2 MB/s.

Other than the steps I've taken (bypassing the router being the most likely, or so I thought) is there anything on my system that could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Hi! How are ya? Welcome to TSF! :)

Have you checked in the client's settings to make sure it doesn't have a download rate limit?

If I don't reply within two days PM me as I sometimes get busy and forget threads.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, I did look through the settings. The one I'm trying to improve the speed on right now (SWTOR) doesn't really have any options to tweak.

Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Try it on Steam. Go to Settings, then the Download tab and check the bandwidth option.

If I don't reply within two days PM me as I sometimes get busy and forget threads.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Set to maximum. And still doesn't explain the slow speeds in Origin and SWTOR.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Have you tried reinstalling the clients? And is it only on this PC, or are the clients on your others slow also?

Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

This is absurd. I just tried a speedtest on the problem-PC and then another on my laptop. The PC got 1.9 Mbps down/0.69 Mbps up, whereas the laptop got 6.35 Mbps down/0.65 up. How can only one system get slower internet? And how is it only the downstream that is being affected, and not the up?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Are you connected wirelessly? Try through a LAN cable. Or switch cables if already wired.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

So it seems to have resolved itself. This is definitely one of the weirdest issues I've ever had, but that PC seems to be back up to speed after I did... absolutely nothing.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Haha! Well, that's been my experience with computers; sometimes they do stuff on their own. Glad it's resolved and I hope it stays that way, but come back if it doesn't. :)

Please mark this thread as Solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

Closed Thread