For about 7 months now my computer has been plagued by jarring lag spikes while playing online games. I have spent hours scouring for answers and yet this problem has eluded me. Despite my attempts, I've come no closer to finding an answer than when this problem first began. I have, however, compiled as much information as I possibly can in order to help diagnose the issue. My only hope is that someone more tech-savvy than me can find a solution. I'll try to highlight the important clues in bold
Here's a video of the lag in Team Fortress 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWceYA4Iug
The multi-colored graph on the right shows various network information. At the very, very bottom right there is a dark blue line
beneath a forest green line
. (Note that this line might be covered by Youtube's video player while paused). If you watch that blue line during the video, you'll notice two orange "cliffs"
run across periodically. To be more precise, those orange bars appear every 11 seconds
. From what I've gathered, the orange spikes indicate that the game is extrapolating
. For some odd reason, the extrapolation always comes in pairs
. In addition, my ping is not affected
by the lag whatsoever.
Some other things to note:
- I'm using a wifi adapter on this computer.
- This is the only computer in my house that has this issue. (Other computers/consoles connecting via wifi run just fine
- This problem affects all online games including ones not on Steam
- This problem does not affect offline games.
- To my knowledge, this issue does not affect downloads, videos, or web-browsing (I've had some issues, but none that happen periodically).
- This problem has vanished for short amounts of time (the last time this happened was months ago).
What I've tried:
- Cleaning my computer with compressed air.
- Switching out wifi adapters (both adapters are the same model).
- Disabling my anti-virus/firewall.
- Complaining on a different forum.
For the sake of getting as much info out there, here's my ping test:
If I remember anything else I'll try to post it here as soon as I can. Thanks a bunch in advance. Any suggestions are appreciated.