Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Skype and online games freeze every few seconds.

This is a discussion on Skype and online games freeze every few seconds. within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, For the past few months I have been having an issue when playing online games and skype with them

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, For the past few months I have been having an issue when playing online games and skype with them freezing every few seconds. It only freezes briefly but is definitely noticeable and annoying.

It also happens if I'm only using skype or only playing online games. This is happening in games that never had any previous problems for me. None of my hardware has changed and I'm not sure what could be causing this.

If I play (for example) CS:GO in offline mode, there are no freezes. But in an online game it freezes every 5-10 seconds. This is becoming unbearable, and I would love to know if anyone has ANY idea was is causing this.

I have 16gb Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz (and this is the same I've had for about a year).

Thanks in advance for anyone that has ANY ideas! Oh, and yeah I already updated drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF!

What is the make and model of your router? There is a setting on most routers called Quality of Service that can prioritize network traffic to a particular computer. That may help with your situation.

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 07-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

I BELIEVE it is the Linksys Cisco E4200, if not that it's one exactly like it. But this has also not changed within the last few months, things used to work fine with this router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Try following this guide for setting up Qos.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, let's just say that didn't work, is there any part in my computer that could be causing this? Or just any other ideas in general would work I guess.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

What is the brand and model number of your power supply unit?

Closed Thread