Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Recently High Ping and Reduced Download Speeds

This is a discussion on Recently High Ping and Reduced Download Speeds within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Until about 2 weeks ago i was able to play games and use the internet on my computer decently averaging

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Until about 2 weeks ago i was able to play games and use the internet on my computer decently averaging around 22ms latency and around 500kbs download speed (the download speed is a whole different problem of why it is that low in the first place, as we pay for 10Megabit). After that point I've been having extremely noticeably reductions.My download speed has move than halved and maxes out around 200kbs. Furthermore when playing a game I start out with a semi normalish ping of ~50ms which it stays at for about 5-10 minutes and after that it starts to average continually spike to upwards of 3000ms, or even disconnect for around 3-10 seconds. This happens throughout the whole of me playing the game, until near the very end, of each match, at about 5 minutes until the end, the lag clears up a bit and I average a semi-stable 50-80ms (playable).

I'm Really starting to get frustrated at it , because these problems only happen on my computer. A lot of times it will end up with me power cycling the router and modem and hoping for a miracle.

I've tried using AVG and Malwarebytes to check for any malware that may be plaguing my computer to no avail. I have also re-installed my network driver multiple times in case It was somehow an issue.

Note: I am running off an ethernet cable.

I Am happy to answer any needed questions or provide any more info. I will be attaching a Speccy snapshot with more detailed info of my computer's specs if those be needed.

ps: feel free to inform me of any other wonky crap that may be going on with my computer if you wish
Attached Files
File Type: zip SPECS.zip (15.1 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

What are the speed tests results from another computer/device?

Have you tried connecting the computer directly to the modem and testing that way?

Old 04-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

The results from another computer are 21ms 3.39Mbps Down 1.32Mbps Up. Note this is on a MUCH older computer, and the one I usually use I built this year.

Connecting the computer to the modem I still can't get an accurate measurement, as it even seems to "lag" during the speedtest, as for some times it will slow down significantly, the "ball" will stop moving, and about 10 seconds later it will go back up.

And if it helps any my ISP is Rise Broadband (also known as JAB Wireless)
P.S. My isp sucks 10/10 would not use again, unfortunately it is my only real option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Computer age shouldn't matter with those type of speeds. Even old hardware running Windows XP could handle 10/10.

If you have network sharing configured, what are your ping times between two computers within your home (ie: over the home network)? You could also try transferring files between computers over the home network. As you are using ethernet, you should see decent transfer speeds. That will give a good indication of your computer(s) network capabilities. Assuming those speeds are normal (ie: much faster), then I'd suspect an ISP issue. And as you are using wireless, it's likely a signal or just data throughput issue.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

I know that my transfer speeds between computers are not bad, as I transfered a few files before while this was going on, if i remember right it was around 6ms. What's really troubling me though is that this happened just all of a sudden which shouldn't happen. Before a few weeks ago my download speeds were much more acceptable and these latency/low-speed spikes didn't happen.

I do believe however that our router is quite old, same with the modem, so perhaps that would be a possible problem? Perhaps they need to be replaced.

I'm not at home right now, so I'm not exactly sure what brand/model they are, but if it helps when i get home I can check.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:33 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The most likely occurrences for sudden discrepancies in Internet connection quality and stability are compartmentalised into two plausible affected areas: the intranet, and then the internet.

The first is your home network - how the connection is between your device and the modem that connects your house to the outside world. If you know the IP address of your modem (typically 192.168.1.1) you can try to talk to it via the following:
  1. Press and hold the Windows Key (Between Alt and Ctrl) + R
  2. Type CMD, then hit enter
  3. Type ping 192.168.2.1 and hit enter
  4. Await for results
  5. Afterward, type tracrt google.com then hit enter
  6. Await for results

fig 1.1
-
- Taking a look at the home network
fig 1.2
-
Confirming connectivity with the web.

After this, there should be virtually no variation in anything you see. Fault tolerance would be within 150ms. If there is then there is a problem with the home network. Switch to the opposite type of connection - so if you're on Wi-Fi, switch to a wired connection, or vice-versa.

If you cannot determine a problem with the home network, then this is most likely a line issue . That would be some sort of connectivity fault between your Internet Service Provider and your neighbourhood hub via the physical cabling. Either that, or the connection from the hub to your house (in most instances, you actually share a particular switch with about 20-50 other homes, you can see these in those small vertical metal boxes at the side of the road). That's the most common fault zone.

The problem is that most ISPs will charge you if they fail to discover any fault with their equipment.
Closed Thread